Building a computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frogy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. frogy

frogy Bit Poster

Hi everyone i want to build my own computer, never done it before but want to give it a go and want some advice on the spec i would need. Im not a gamer [although addicted to tibal wars online] but would like to learn poser and bryce at some point so would like a system which would cope with this.
    The processor ive got my eye on at the moment is 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155 but not sure what motherboard would be best with this. Would like to have 4-6gb of ram but want to be able to upgrade that in the future if need be. Any ideas would be good, thank you.

2. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

Hi,
    Would probably be best to let people know how much you are willing to spend before any suggestions are made.
    do you have any components already? monitor? so on so forth...

3. frogy

frogy Bit Poster

no dont have any components yet and looking at a budget of 5-600 quid, cheaper if possible.

4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

That game is addictive and so good at easing you in, suddenly from spending 10 mins a day you end spending hours and hours a day to remain competitive. I played it alot when I was unemployed back when it launched ;).

The build well you need to have a think about what capabilities you want from it or is budget more of a concern. You will obviously need a motherboard with a LGA 1155 socket but these can range massively from £40 to over £300 depending on features, spec and even case size.

My advice would be have a good thorough look through OverClockers website (Computer hardware, components & gaming PC retailer Overclockers UK) this should give you a starting point as their shop is pretty well laid out. You can always come back with questions, the point of building your own PC (aside from learning) is getting something specific to your own requirements. If you just want any old thing then you are better off buying a pre-made system, it's not going to be cheaper building it yourself these days.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??