BTHomeHub isnt sending a wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Angelwings, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

I started of with Pipex it was fast enough but i needed a wireless network so i then changed to 3G which was incredibly slow. I then changed to BT which was quite fast ive had it about a month with no problems untill now.
    I have a HP Compaq nx7400 laptop which has built in wireless/bluetooth on the touch of a button so i was connecting to the hub using that, only now its connecting, disconnecting and so on.
    When i search for wireless networks a list comes up but only half the time it actually shows mine.
    Is there a problem with my hub? Anything i can do to solve it? The pc is runing of the same hub using ethernet and is working fine it just seems to be the wireless part.
    Is there some way i can reset the hub?
    I only use the internet for bebo, myspace, MSN etc. So I dont know much about ips etc, so please keep it as simple as possible? Thanks

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you unsure of messing with any technical stuff then my advice would be to ring your ISP technical support department.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

when your laptop searches for available wireless networks how many show up in the list?

It could be that your hub is having issues finding an uncongested channel.

4. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

When i search for networks about 7 show, which always have showed, but mine isnt showing at anytime now but is still working fine on the pc, do i need to get a new hub then?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you selected hide network? if so you will need to unhide it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

I dont know how to hide it..so i doubt i have..i keep getting the thing saying wireless network detected so i click it my hub doesnt show so i refresh the list it shows mine and says aquiring something or other i cant remember now it connects for about 30 seconds then disconnects again and doesnt show for about a hour, ive tried taking the plug out and putting it back in, restarting the hub, leaving it of for a while and turning it on again, connecting it with the pc being disconnected from it. Nothing seems to work. I did try to ring BT but i was put on hold for quite a while and got fed up. I know its not my laptop as it picks up all the hubs around me.

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

One thing to try checking is the channel the wireless is broadcasting on.

If you check the wireless settings on the router (you are best doing this with the ethernet cable plugged in), it should enable you to set which channel you are using.

Try a different one, you see when lots of routers (ie your neighbours) are communicating on the same channel then they could cause interference (best channels are 1, 7 and 11 (if its on 7 try 1 or 11, if its on 11 try 7 or 1, if its on 1 try 7 and 11).

It could also be a problem with the router, one way to solve problems is by updating the firmware, check on the routers support page on the internet, there should be a section for firmware updates, have a look to see which one you have (usually in the status page of the router), and see if there are newer ones, check to see however, if the firmware updates address wireless issues, if so definitely worth a shot.

Again do this while you are connected to ethernet cable.

One thing i would say is dont disconnect the update halfway through as this could leave you with an unusable router, so a good idea is to check the support side beforehand to see if there is a recovery piece of software.

Finally most routers have a factory default routine, where you hold in the reset button for a set amount of time (usually 30 seconds or more), if you do this make sure you have all your ISP connection settings and your manual at hand to set up the rest of the router.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

I know this is going to sound stupid, but is the isp the username and password for it? I didnt try holding it in for a certain length of time i just pressed it. Can you let me know what isp etc means, if i hold the button in for as long as it says will i have to set it up the same way i did when i first got it? without having to do anything else?

9. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

had same sort of problem with customers home hub. He connected for couple of months ok then unable to connect at all. I went with my laptop and connected ok.

We called BT and one of their support guys logged on to his laptop using cable connecting. After an hour or so of him changing just about evey setting he could which I had already tried before calling, he did a factory reset on the hub and everything working fine again now.

Not sure if this is any help to your problem as we could see home hub in wireless networks just unable to connect to it.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Basically if you hold it in for between 30 seconds to a minute, the lights will start blinking and in some sort of sequence, once the lights stop "moving" that usually signifies its been done.

Once this is done it basically you will need to set the router up in the same way you did the first time

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Normally to do a Factory Reset of your hub you will need to hold down the reset button for a few seconds or press a series of keys (this will be in your manual).

Once you have reset your hub, I would then recommend plugging your laptop or PC into this using an ethernet cable. Then go into Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of your hub normally something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.0 etc.

When you are in here, you should have some sort of configuration wizard to go threw. Most of the settings nowadays are done automatically. Remember that you will need your login details to authorise the broadband connection (usually something like your email username and password).

Good luck!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

Thanks ill try ringing them again tommorrow, worth a try, it shows sometimes not much but when it does and i click connect it just vanishes.

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

One last quick question, if you sit next to the router with your laptop does the wireless network show up then?

14. Angelwings

Angelwings New Member

The hub is in he room next door to mine, before it stopped working i always had full signal and no problems but even sitting beside it now it still doesnt show

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would call your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

i think you need a certain level of expertise to sort this out and clearly, not meaning to sound mean, you don't have it :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It just thought about this some more, is your hub ine of the new black ones?

If so you may have to change it's settings so that it it is optomised for b/g networks. I think that the new ones are automatically set to 'n'.

I've had to do this for a family member when theirs had simillar problems, but I can't remember where in the settings you needed to change this.