BT Broadband Mail Relay

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by jackd, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know if its possible to use BT Broadband's mail servers as a mail relay for my domain. This would be useful because im getting alot of emails blocked because my server is on a dynamic ip range. Ive got an email account for btinternet and was wondering if i could use their mail servers (mail.btinternet.com) to relay mail from my exchange server.

Thanks
    Jack Dunn

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I doubt it. admittedly i dont know much about setting up and using exchange, but as i understand it, the origin IP will still show as your own, regardless of where you route it through, so that wont solve anything.

Why dont you just have a word with your ISP, and get yourself a static IP address? I believe that most isps only charge an extra fiver (i think) for a single static IP.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

It's a Business Broadband option for BT - link

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Already tried asking them for a static ip, they didnt even bother replying its been ages since i sent it so they've had enough time.

But thats what a relay is all about i think, you send the email through another mail server on behalf of yours

Jack

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can upgrade to a business package and this will get you a static IP.

Once you do this you will need to request a reverse DNS entry for your domain as most of your bounce backs are probably caused by this just now. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I cant afford a BT Broadband Business Package!

7. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Then switch ISP - BT are crap anyway :dry

What about using Gmail or someone else for relay?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can migrate to another ISP that offers a static IP with its hosting, it will probably cost the same as what you are paying for BT just now. Shop around! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

What ISP's would you guys recomend all i need is it to a) not be capped and b) have a static ip

Thanks
    Jack

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Jack

The bounces you're getting will be because most enterprise-class decent anti-spam solutions nowadays include a reputation-based connection control system. Anything that looks like it comes from a residential IP address will be dropped automatically (as you're no doubt currently finding out!)

As others have suggested, the only way round this is to go to an ISP that will give you a static IP address, then get the ISP to stick a Reverse DNS entry in their servers for your domain.

I'm just about to get a second line into my server room and am considering going with Bulldog - they offer 8 static IPs on their premium account, which would do me nicely!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I take it that is on Bulldog for Business?

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Jack there is a way around this. I have a dynamic IP and a lot of my emails from my exchange server were being bounced back for just the reasons that Zeb stated.

I did a bit of research and found www.authsmtp.com

They allow you to relay your mail through them but of course this does not come for free. I think £14 for the year rings a bell and there is a size\quantity limit for that price.

I've been using them for a while now and never had a email bounce back, evan when me ip addy changes :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster