broken screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi again guys

My laptop screen has been broken for a while now and i have been using an external monitor to run it. But now it wont work at all the computer powers up and i know it runs but im getting no signal t the monitor. I know the monitor works as i can connect another laptop to it and the picture is fine.

Also i can set the old laptop up in safe mode and i also get a picture from that, but as its in safe mode i cant mess about with the display properties. Is there any way i can get it so that my monitor works the way i had it, as an external display???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

You should be able to change the display settings in safe mode.. Either that or try VGA mode but I think they're the same thing?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

This may be a tad simple but I gotta ask - have you inadvertently hit the fn key and the key that switches between the laptop panel and an external monitor?

It's just that sometimes the simple answers work :biggrin

Failing that, is there a problem with the monitor as you seem to be saying that it does not work at all with one laptop and only works with your old one when it is safe mode?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well, would you believe it, its back working, what a pain i the arse these things are, oh well at least i have a back up pc which is what ive always needed.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680