Broadband Speed Tests

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Nov 13, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We just changed our connection at work from DSL to cable... here's my stats at work:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

AOL! u r0x0rz, d00d! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

never had a problem with any of it.

I don't use the AOL software because its shite and has loads of pop ups, I just use for connection to the web through firefox and IE when on messenger.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I did another test and here is what I got:

[​IMG]

You can totally see the difference from this test to the first one I did...speed has dropped by over 12Mb...yet the upload is very high which is good...:biggrin but im still gonna get in touch with Virgin Media.

In fact the first time I did mention this to them, they asked me to check all my equipment and any security software I may have...but at the time I had no security software and was going thru my router...so when I took that off and just used the cable modem itself it still didnt make a difference...

Its true tho...we in the UK are worse off for broadband than anywhere else in the world...anyone got a spare ticket to Hong Kong?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. BosonMichael

That's because:

1) you haven't experienced "life on the other side", and
    2) you haven't tried to cancel. :D

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the US, you typically end up paying AOL much more for less service and bandwidth.

6. greenbrucelee

I have never had to talk to their support dept yet.

I think my bandwidth is ok, I am paying for 2 meg but if my sums are correct I am getting just over 1.9, the nearest telephone exchange is 1.5 miles away, so I don't think its that bad.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

AOL are shocking, it has to be said. That said, they love to hold onto their customers. GBL, if you are having problems with your finances, perhaps you should consider phoning them up and trying to cancel. you'll very likely get half price and/or free for several months. its better than nothing, and you can always do it again later.

That said, at some point you do probably need to consider switching anyway. I'm fairly sure if you have a look, you can find a better provider for less money, offering pretty much exactly what you get with AOL. Go for the freebies first though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael

...and how much does 2 meg cost from other providers? That's what I'm getting at...

9. greenbrucelee

cheers for that, my contract is up in March (or do they just roll on) then I will see about other ISPs.

10. BosonMichael

Most other ISPs won't lock you into a contract. ;) At least, they don't here.

11. greenbrucelee

I will have a look at others but a lot here at the moment are saying things its £10 quid a month fi you have your phone with us etc etc.

Well I still have to live with my Mum so I don't need that, my Mums with TalkTalk they offer bb service but its crap.

12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you dont need to wait for your contract to end to try for the freebies. go for it now.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. BosonMichael

If/when you switch service, be SURE that you know how much the "promo offer" is, and what the price will be 3 months, 6 months, 12 months down the line. Here in the states, you can get broadband Internet, cable TV, and phone service for $99/month... for a year, at which point, the price skyrockets to the mid-to-upper hundreds. :ohmy

I get my Internet through my cable TV provider, so I have a bundled rate with them (which is only $10 cheaper than had I gotten them separately).

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

AOL is £17.99 a month for an unlimited 2MB connection. Actually, the current price is £9.99 for the first 6 months and then £14.99 for the 8MB service (just looked on the website)

Not that bad! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. greenbrucelee

I am paying 14.99 a month for 2MB they better hadn't put it up of they'l get whats for.

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

hee hee! If you call them you will probably get bumped up to the 8MB service.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. greenbrucelee

I cant get 8MB at the moment, well that last time I looked I couldn't, but I will do a line test cheers Sparky

18. greenbrucelee

I tried, that offer is only available if my phone network is AOL, but they did say they will give me 8MB for 6th months at 14.99 (which is what I pay now for 2) the 19.99 but there are cheaper providers for that.

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

going back to the fact that they don't wont to loose any customers, from what I have heard, are a swine to release the MAC to the customer. Perhaps this has changed, but you would think the *winning* ISP would do the fighting :gun

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

[​IMG]
    Just found this thred so I thought I'd test my speed.....and.........its......Rubbish, can you believe I'm paying over £25 a month for a supposed 4meg line!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA