Broadband decisions - suggestions/recommendations

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 6, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Decided I would post these rpeorts as they may be of interest to some. They can be found in this new thread . :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

A fine decision to go with Zen, I've been with them twice now and their service and support is great.

I do prefer Be* though for the following reasons

- Cheaper than Zen (and many others)
    - No download limits
    - No traffic shaping
    - Upto 24mb dl speed (generally double your adsl1 speed*)
    - Ping is better (for me ~10ms)
    - Ability to modify SNR and turn on/off interleaving (gaming mode) by the click of a button on their website (no several days waiting for BT to do it either)
    - They have live support via IRC

They went through a rough period last winter with a lot of ping problems and download speed issues but since January I've not experienced a single problem. :)

* My line is currently synced at 9.9mb but I'm using a very high SNR of 12db (the higher you go the slower you sync) to stabalise my line. The reason for this requirement is because I use gaming mode and am subject to random sync loss on anything lower than 12. It's unfortunate but I still feel I'm getting a great deal: £22, 9mb unlimited downloads and ~10ms lower ping than any ADSL1 provider can give me. Just sucks that my friend a few miles away syncs with 18mb and has their upload+ (2.2mb upload speed over my 1.1 /sadface).

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I take your point but my exchnage goes 21CN in October and bearing in mind my owkr situation (or lack of) I wanted the flexibility at the moment of being able to switch easily in a few months if I wanted to. Zen offers me a rolling one month contract and tbh one or two £'s is not the issue - service and reliability are and Zen have delat with my pre-sales questions very well. Happy to stick with them for now and see what happens.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)