Brexit and IT

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Waqas Ahmed, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

So.. out of interest, what do people think about the impact (be it positive or negative) brexit may have on IT?

Personally, I THINK I should be fine, working in a debt recovery company. I guess IT underpins a hell of a lot of organisations these days too. What are your thoughts?

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Difficult to say at this stage - have seen some price increases with exchange rate against the dollar after the result which was major hassle for us.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Also spoke to a Training Provider - bookings down since Brexit - would hope this would not be for too long.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  4. Waqas Ahmed

Woohoo :( I guess the only silver lining for me is that economic downturn means more people get in to debt, and the company makes money from debt recovery, though they do tell people to go to registered charities for actual advice. I guess more people are likely to get in to debt in economic downturns too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I work in finance, reckon there'll be a quite a few companies relocating to outside of the UK. Suppose it means there'll be lots of data migration projects so short term contracts with lots of £££. Cloud and IT Security will probably see a bit of a spike along with may be architecture/project management. Once Brexit kicks in there's an increased chance of Scottish Independence so that may see something similar but on a smaller scale.

IMO, in IT terms it's a bigger (but more localised) version of Y2K - a lot of panic but once it all settles down there probably won't be too much change.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  6. Waqas Ahmed

That's quite re-assuring especially for us in the north. We'd be watching on the outside, watching other industries crumble, with other labour getting cheaper...

damo101 likes this.
  7. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Have to try find them silver linings where you can ;)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design