Breaking into IT & Nerves

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Aug 12, 2007.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You'll also find that first level help desk support role tasks are very repetative. So after a few weeks of hearing "my pc won't (fill in the blank here)" you'll know exactly what to tell the user to do to fix their PC. The downside to this is you will become bored very quick and unless you can move up to a level 2 position or higher you'll be looking for employment with another company. Once you "work your way up" you'll discover that 2 identical machines can be having identical issues and symptoms, and there will be two completely different issues happening.

One other thing, not to get your hopes up. You're also not going to start out as a systems/network administrator/engineer. You'll have to "pay your dues" first.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Strange that this topic should pop up :blink

Anyhow, remember that not ALL places have remote access, the place i work, we are not allowed to Remote into users computers (ooh the nature of the NHS) which makes resolving some issues a interesting experience.::p

Also taking that first step into IT is very much rewarding in terms of job satisfaction. Although im wishing to breakl away from my desk and fix PC's, i prefer helping someone trying to turn their computer on, to being at the wonderful supermarket i used to be at.....

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Do you mind if i ask how you found the break into IT? seeing as this thread is your own from about 9 months ago it would be nice to hear your updated stance, maybe answer your first post.
    (does this make sense? im not sure, nevermind)

WIP: A+
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll give my $.02.

I started in a call center for a large communications company. And personally, working in a call center sucks, at least, the one I worked for did. All they wanted you to do was answer incoming calls and not to work issues. That's what the L2 techs were for. The "catch 22" was that you couldn't get promoted to L2 without knowing how to work the issues, but as a L1 you couldn't work issues because all you were allowed to do was answer incoming calls.

One day I was in the right place at the right time and was offered a position with another company that lead to my current position, network administrator, which in itself means I do everything from make coffee to manage 53,000 (+-) users, and make sure the voip phones work flawlessly. The good thing is that with a company of this size, I'm one of 15 admins. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I used to get really nervous even speaking on the phone or picking it up in a work environment, specially in front of others. Still do now and again. However after a year working as a receptionist in a car dealership, a year in I.T. support and a year working in schools, it sort of becomes a boring nessesity to speak on the phone. The more you do it, the easier it becomes, a bit of banter helps as well unless your on the phone to a supplier or dell!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I dunno if i got lucky, or im just that good:p

But I just searched some job sites, and spotted a position on monsterjobs for a Customer Service Technician, and just applied for it. What I will say is im 100% certain the Cv advice on this site helped my application, because beforehand id not had any interest, change my CV after reading the cv advice, and as well as being offered the role i have now, i was also offered a couple of interview for other jobs.

In my interview for this i was just as honest as I could be, explained what experience I had, what experience I wanted to gain, and was asked to display my problem fixing skills through a "roleplaying" thing, which was interesting, but not as scary as it sounds. Although perhaps what landed me the job was my Thundercats Tattoo as the manager was highly impressed with that and still comments on it now:

7. Markyboyt

I can see the merits of a thundercats tattoo :lol:
    How did you find the help desk enviroment in relation to your concerns in your original post back in august?

8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Colloghi

I am in a similar position (i suffer from anxiety/nerves), as is a friend of mine who sufferers from SAD.

My problem is i have worked for myself, alone, for far too long.

I am not so worried about the IT side of things, it the phone, communication, teamwork and customer relations.
    Personally i think i need to find a position to break me in and gain experiance in these areas otherwise i am not going to get anywhere.

I am sure this is why I have had no joy with interviews so far.

AC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Working alone sucks, I did it for 15 months in my last job and hated it. I felt so isolated at times, I never want to be in that situation again. It does nothing for morale and as humans we need interaction with others, it isn't good for anyone to be on their own for long periods of time.

10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Markyboyt

"How did you find the help desk enviroment in relation to your concerns in your original post back in august?"

Hi Mark

For me the first week or so was brain-overload, and very daunting. So much information, in what seemed so little time, not helped by comments like "you will be on phone on your own in 2 weeks at most, just like john here, he has only been here 6 weeks and now he is doing etc etc" -

all i could think was no way, not me, cant do it, way too soon...........

2 months later, I was speaking to doctors, nurses, oracle technicians, Application support teams, IT managers and all sorts, as well as training new people:eek:

Its certainly helped boost my confidence here. and sure i stumbled but i found that most people will help you through the stumbling, especially your colleagues and even the people who call up.

Before i went on the desk, i was worried as well about being put on the spot, and thus stammering on an answer before id even thought about it correctly, even something simple which later i would be going, hey wait a moment, i should of done this or that,

Now after working on the desk, its drummed a kind of doctor questioning mentality into me giving me time to think, without actually stammering or creating an awkward silence in between and helping me actually try things to solve it before passing it on if neccessary

i.e we get people who just fire faults at you and they want an answer like. "Hi, my printer wont print, even though its all turned on etc, and ive tried rebooting, in fact i think we need a new printer, can i order please"

Before my desk experience, id be so concerned with getting an answer for the person straight away, my mind would just freeze, or id fire out an answer which came off the top of my head.

Now id automatically respond (depending on situation/issue), with something like, "ok, could you tell me what program your trying to print from, please"

For me it takes away the pressure away from " i need to fix this computer now, because they have asked me for help" to "I need to verify what the issue is and then i can help that person"

I know there are people who do hate working on helpdesks, and after some of the calls you get, yoiu cant blame them, but for me, its been a great learning experience and certainly helped me build my confidence in regards to IT and my problem fixing:)

11. Crito

Crito Banned

Sounds more like an anxiety attack to me too. Caffeine definitely doesn't help! Unfortunately nicotine does. :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  12. Markyboyt

Hi
    thanks for your informative reply, im sure it will help me and many others when faced with a similar situation, because not everybody can be confident that they have made the right decision and it can be very daunting so its good to hear the view point of somebody who felt that way and has overcome their worries and fears.

Thanks
    Mark

13. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi Andy

I sort of know where your coming from, i use to have really bad anxiety attacks, thinking about going places, or being involved in a situation with more than a few people. This used to lead in extreme cases to passing out:blink. One of these was as recent as two years ago, when i went for a call centre job, got halfway through my induction day after passing interview and test and just broke down in panic when they mentioned they were going to put us in teams and distressed I had to go home. I cant really offer much advice on how to control panic attacks etc, because I still get them from time to time, although not as bad thankfully, but i think you just have to throw yourself into a situation, let the attack build up, have a breather and then let it fizzle out, then get on with it, thinking about it does make it worse, you will get support from those around you...

In between the two years that i had that last bad panic attack, ive worked at asda, facing scarey customers everyday, got married, passed my driving test, had a tattoo:biggrin, passed my first part of my A+ and now im here at a helpdesk dealing with some very high calls at times and my one regret is i didnt do any of this sooner, due to my panic attacks.....

I dont believe panic attacks can be controlled as such (ive seen the books, the movies) but i think you can adapt around them and be finer with what you do:)