Brand based choice or spec based on new Lappie purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by millsie, Jan 7, 2012.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Ok, so my spec choice is thus:

I3 but prefer I5 processor, depending on cost. 6gb of RAM, 2 or 3 USB 3 ports, 500 to 750gb of HDD, and a HDMI out connection so I can watch HD movies on my TV :D

Thats the preferred spec, but which brand? Thats the probably at least 500 quid question!

I have been looking at Lenovo, seem to have good reviews and good spec for your money, MSI seem to be all about gamers, and being an xbox freak, dont need a laptop for gaming! Then theres Sony, but that seems to be at a cost I have had a Vaio for a few years and its been good to me but not sure I want to pay the price for the name?

This is my problem, cannot decide why I would not just plump for say, a Dell or a HP laptop which has got great spec but not the name. I saw a great price on a really good spec HP that also looked pretty, but then the Lenovo I was looking at has nice buttons on the keyboard!!

what ya reckon peeps?

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

OK, how much do you want to pay out and what do you want to use the laptop for? Those are the questions.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

4-500 quid, music production and running things like GNS3 and watching HD movies :D

I guess what i'm getting at is does brand matter? I know what spec I want and what i'm using it for, its just, does it matter whether its a HP, a Sony, a Fujitsu or a Lenovo if its got the right spec I want?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I have a Dell Vostro 3750 Core i5, 6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive etc. and it came just under £400.

The Vostro range is far superior to a lot of the rubbish Dell's consumer arm pushes and I purchased it refurbished (it was immaculate) from the Dell Outlet. Take a look.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There is a lot of refurbed Dell stuff about because it was duff to start with... wouldn't touch it myself.

Acer and Asus are pretty good cheap lappies. Intel chips tend to use less power.