Bought a Kindle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

So I went and bought one the other day, WiFi only, cost under $140 bucks (i didnt get the ad supported one)
    I picked up my first ever fiction book to go with it (as in bought, not read, im not that bad)
    As i don't have anything to really compare with, not being an avid reader, i can't say the prices are too bad, although there are some that are just annoying as Fergal points out, being twice the price of the paperback for a file a few k in size is preposterous, get with the times publishers or you will be gone

I also got a few .mobi files from VMWare documentation and emailed them to @free.kindle.com, they work fine and look great so far

I have already read 3 books in the hunger games trilogy, the short prequel story to the sword of truth series (Debt of Bones) and am 50 pages into the Sword of Truth..
    in less than a week :)

Maybe i wasn't anti reading, just anti book? thinking about it, the parts that annoyed me about DTB were the spines, holding the thing open, losing my page, bending the spine enough that it stayed open, but never closed again.. these things about paper backs grated at me more than i realized, because i am loving reading on my Kindle!

Brand new 2001 Ford Explorer Limited
    all the trimmings, Tow package, sunroof, adaptive cruise control, heated/cooled front leather seats, blind spot detection, basic heads up display, ford Sync, you name it, it has it haha

Very happy with it so far
    http://db.tt/vWRjWOw
    http://db.tt/20wXoI1

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Hmmm, i bought an ereader called <spam - sparky>, Its really good, it plays mp3 files, mp4 and divx files, back light, bookmark etc. I bought it mainly for reading plus the px was comparatively cheaper than all the major ebook readers.

However I still miss the feel, the smell, the touch and having to hold a book in my hands.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Good to see you getting into it. I really like my Kindle, although I doubt it will stop be buying DTB's - as there are some series' that I already have in DTB.

It really gets my goat that I have to pay again if I want a kindle copy of a book I already own the physical copy of.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah I love my Kindle but that irrates me too. Tbh when I got it I went online and managed to aquire quite a few books I already owned. I don't feel guilty for getting them, because I already bought them once. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada