Both tests in 4 weeks, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'A+' started by imhotep, Dec 27, 2007.

1. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

I'm new to this forum so my apologies if this thread's topic is totally worn out. Several others have been sharing their studying/testing experiences so I thought I'd do the same.

I just spent three weeks reading Mike Meyer's 6th edition book cover-to-cover. The fourth week was spent taking practice tests and memorizing flash cards. Right at the last minute I bought another book full of practice tests (no textual content). Boy am I glad that I did! Mike's practice tests that are included with the book turned out to be fairly weak compared to the real thing. His chapter reviews are also very cursory compaired with some of the competing authors. For these reasons I may switch authors when I study for Network+. There were also many questions on subjective office situations that I wasn't sure how to answer. Mike's book doesn't go into a lot of detail in that department. Aside from these issues I thought the book was worth it's asking price, on Amazon that is :)

After four weeks of self-study I took 601 and 602 back to back on a Friday afternoon, passing with 780 and 810 respectively.

On to Network+ ....

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Thats really really good! Congrats mate....

Which "competitor" and practice test did you use?

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome, and congrats!

Although I like Mike's A+ AIO 6th, I typically recommend Groth's Network+ book by Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. minkey

minkey Bit Poster

well done

Certifications: dove-dipolma of vocational education
    WIP: COMPTIA A+ with equals
  7. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

Thanks everyone. Here is the second book that I bought just a couple of days before taking the test.

http://www.amazon.com/CliffsTestPrep-CompTIA-Cliffs-Testprep-Guides/dp/0470117516

This book has three full-length practice tests for 601 and also two full length tests for each of 602, 603, and 604. In my opinion the questions in this book are much more equivalent to the real thing in terms of difficulty.

For Network+ I'm going with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Network+-Cert...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198806319&sr=1-1

It has much more substantial chapter reviews and also several lab excercises spread throughout the chapters. After doing a side-by-side comparison with Meyer's Network+ plus book in the bookstore, I decided on Clarke's instead. I'm interested in your opinions though.

Thanks,

Curt

8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Congratz on the A+

Good luck with you N+ study:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Imhotep, and congratulations on your pass :)

Your feedback on the AIO is quite interesting. With regards to the lab elements of the competitor's books, I believe Mike Meyers has separate books for you to buy as companion 'lab manuals' though I'm not sure if they are tailored to go hand-in-hand with the AIO book (linky).

Also with the 'subjective office situations' do you mean the ethical questions they bung at you, or do you mean questions they put into a work based scenario? For the first one, it would be difficult to cover in a technical textbook, but for the second, I agree - I thought my own edition (5th) was quite weak in this area.

With regards to your Network+ studying, I think a lot of people recommend the Sybex (Groth) text instead of Mike Meyer's. I'm not sure why, that just seems to be the trend! That being said, I passed my N+ using Mike's N+ AIO edition, the passport edition as a review, and the Exam Cram test questions book (oh, and material from my training provider).

Good luck with your studies!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

The second one. Here's an example:

Q: You walk into the server room and find a huge puddle of water on the floor. What should you do?
    a. Clean it up
    b. Report the safety hazard to your supevisor.
    c. Wear boots in the server room.
    d. Step over it and continue working.

In most cases two of the options are absurd. However, I had a hard time choosing between A and B. I told the IT guys at work about this question, and they were divided on which was correct. Some felt like B was the one, and that you should default to passing the buck in situations like this. On the test I answered A because that's just what I would have done. No harm in telling your supervisor that there's probably a leak afterward.

Here's another:

Q: A user moves a laser printer from one office into his and begins to print. The pages are coming out with foreign characters intermixed within the text. What should you do?
    a. Put the printer back where it belongs.
    b. Install the correct drivers on that user's PC to correct the printing problems.
    c. Try a different brand of paper.
    d. Switch the laser printer out for an ink-jet printer.

Again, two options that are obviously wrong. And again, I was torn between A and B. My gut impulse was to go for A, but the question itself is focused upon the printing problems, so it was difficult for me. I actually don't remember which one I chose on the test.

During the tests, my suprise at these questions wasn't necessarily because of the problems presented. It was the shear number of these things that kept popping up. Meyer's gives the impression in his book that these types of questions would be the minority on the test. It certainly wasn't that way on mine though.

11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Although I can see your issue on the first question, the second question seems like a clear-cut printing issue question to me, and I would answer B without hesitating.

My (personal) justification for that is that the user requires a printer - otherwise they wouldn't have moved one. The question doesn't mention that any install of printer drivers was done, and I would assume it is local. Foreign characters are a common symptom of corrupt printer drivers, so I would always try this as a first course of action.

With the first, I would answer A. I (personally) couldn't see any point in wandering off to report a spillage to your supervisor, when it could potentially do damage to people and/or equipment. Working in IT is not akin to working in a supermarket - get a jaycloth or towel, and clean it up :)

What the Meyer's book should (and I think does) say, is that questions in the exam are weighted towards CompTIA's objectives. Certain areas of expertise are covered 'x' percent in the exam. There are also around 15-20 questions in anyone one CompTIA exam that do not count towards the score - they are normally ethical or 'theoretical situation' based, and I think CompTIA use them for research on future exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

phew...so its not just me then! There are a number of questions like these on Mikes CD which have alarmed me to a certain extent. I'm getting to know my stuff well but to me many "common sense" questions don't have "common sense" answears on his practice exams. I'm left second guessing what I think the writer of the question would say instead of giving what I think is the correct answear.

So from what imhotep is saying I take it these kind of questions are common?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

these questions are designed to confuse you, so you re-read them and pick the correct one, when I did the pdi+ beta exam there were many questions such as: you go into a busy office and are shown the printer you'll be working on, there are lots people near by what do you.

A: introduce yourself
    B: layout your equipment and begin working
    C: wait for people to leave
    D: Ask if you can start your work

Please pick 2 obviously its C and D but if you hadn't read the question properly you may have answered A and B.

I have actually edited some of that so not to break any confidential agreement.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think the safety hazzard mentioned in the question is about slipping on water, what they are trying to get you to understand is that water and electricity don't mix well. The safety hazard is that the water might be soaking the mains supply to the servers or wetting other cabling which is always abundant in server rooms. There could be real danger of electric shock, if you were to try and mop it up. Also where did the water come from, a burst pipe or leaking cooling system.. this clearly needs to be investigated to safely establish the source. Possibly the servers need to be shut down and taken off line and there are clearly ramifications to the smooth running of the business, so to escalate the problem to a superior would be the right course of action.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)