Bored, annoyed & frustrated

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by salv236, Apr 28, 2011.

1. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Dear Members,

Maybe someone could give me some advise as i feel like banging my head against a brick wall. My first ever IT position i thoroughly enjoyed as IT/Technican system admin in the UK which i did for 4 years.

I then moved to Brussels where i landed a position as a support technician which i thought was an interesting postion, it ended up being helpdesk which i did for approxilately 18 months.

I then landed a position with another company as Data admin which was low level mixture of windows share accesses mainframe basically still helpdesk desk functions user creations high volume of phone calls, during this time i tried to start an MCSE training for XP/2K3 5still on xp after 2 years). I suffered depression due to volume of work and the constant pressure i put myself under in studying the MCSE.

i returned back to work after my 3 weeks off with depression my boss wanted to have a discussion with me which was all positive whom stated to me that i was taking on too much and proposed to move me to a 2nd line security team, i wasnt really interested as i purely wanted a position which gave me hands on with windows servers but i thought this would be better than what im doing.

When i started this new position i was was promised that i would be involved in projects as well as performing operational functions. The projects in the 1st year in my role was not that interesting, Now ive been in this role for over 1 year and im constantly doing operational tasks.

I would like to get back into system administration within Brussels, the stuff that i have been learning during the 70-270 i am starting to forget what ive learned and feel like my career is falling apart. I feel annoyed frsutrated and depressed what should i do?

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Have you thought about looking for another job?
    Just had a quick check and there is loads of stuff in Brussels at the moment, you after contract or permy?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Please don't take this the wrong way, but from what you've written and the way i interpret it, it sounds as though you're just happy to do what you're told - if you have the drive and ambition to go onto working with servers - then you'll go out and look for a job which is specifically server orientated, or at least has the potential to lead upto it.

If this is the case, study the MCITP: Server Administrator, or Enterprise Administrator - these are dedicated server administration cert's and would probably be a bit more helpful than the MCSE in my opinion.

However, if you've got 6 and a half years experience within a 1st level role/helpdesk or similar, and are struggling with the 70-270. i'm not entirely sure what to suggest.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's the way i've interpreted your post

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, I know it's more complicated than it may seem, but reading your post it sounds as if you've had a career to date that many people here would kill for. Not to mention the fact that you are actually employed...

Many people struggle to get into IT at all, and many more end up stuck in the same place for ever. You've held a number of diverse roles, and 12-18 months is long enough to pick up new skills without getting bored.

Your employers pretty much had to move you to a less stressful position. They were pretty much obliged to, either out of concern for your health or just because they wanted someone fighting fit in your previous role. Either way, there was no real choice.

The problem is likely to be depression. Believe me, three weeks off for depression is nothing. It can last for years. Three weeks gets you over the stress and gives you a break, but depression is a state of mind. Unfortunately anything you do is going to seem pretty bleak at the moment. You need to remind yourself that it isn't really, it's just your interpretation of it. These sorts of feelings are common, and you really need to try and focus on the positives - it's the only way out of the hole.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally always said that if you don't have an interest in your current job and there's nothing you can do about improving the experience then maybe you should look for something else. I know many of us on here would go the distance just to get their foot in the door. I am sure you're trying but at the end of the day if what you're doing is not working, then you have to change it up, it's the only way that you will see a change.

Depression is a tough thing, my ex went through it and I saw first hand what it's like. There's not much advice I can give you as I never went through it my self, but perhaps having a less stressful jobs is what you need for the time being and maybe during this time you can concentrate on your certifications.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA