Boot camp?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tc27, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

Hello everyone, you can read my introduction here:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread4185.html

Has anyone got any experience of going to one of the bootcamps run by 'Trainingcamp'?

Is it feasable to learn everything you need to take the A+/N+ exams in seven days, I realise it will be bloody intense but I am prepared to go at it hammer and tongs to get it over with.

Certifications: None....
    WIP: Seeing where my job takes me!
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know anything about that specific company but my understanding of the purpose of a boot camp is to give someone who already has a working knowledge in the subject being taught the intensive study and labs necessary to pass a certification or set of certification exams in short order.

Let's say you work as a system tech in a Windows environment and have for many years. By sheer experience, research, and repitition, you've learned what you need to know to do your job on a day-to-day basis. Then, you company institutes a new policy that says everyone in your position must be a certified MCSE and they've given you 30 days to get your quals.

Naturally, you freak. 30 days isn't hardly enough time to learn all of that information. Then you realize that you conduct a lot of the tasks that are tested for in the MCSE exams anyway, but you don't have them organized in terms of test taking. A boot camp might be just the ticket for you. The material won't really be new,but you'll have it presented to you in an organized fashion using all of the naming terms the exams use.

You will also get alot of intensive hands-on experience at the boot camp to make sure you can link the concepts to the practices.

Now...if you knew almost nothing about Microsoft Windows Networks, how to configure a DNS server, group policies to automatically distribute software updates to 500 users in your enterprise, Active Directory replication....7 days at a boot camp is more likely to frustrate the heck out of you and demoralize you into a depression that even Prozac wouldn't touch...

...plus boot camps are really expensive.

I don't usually recommend a boot camp experience for someone just starting out (can you tell?). Now, since you have expereince as a network tech, it's possible you possess most of the skill sets tested by the A+ and Network+ exams and that it really wouldn't be much of a challenge for you. On the other hand, since you may well possess those skill sets anyway...why not get a few books...set up a small practice network and go the self study route. You'd save a bundle of money and still get the quals.

Well...it's an idea anyway. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice, obviously I dont want to jump in over my head but I feel I could probaly get a handle on A+ N+ pretty quickly.

I will check out some of the course textbooks (Meyers seems to be the recommendation for A+) and see how much I already know.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let us know what direction you decide. Also, don't forget to post specifically in the A+ and Network+ forums when you have queries about those exams. Rumor has it that occasionally, a random Network+ question can be found in the forum by that name. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

After careful consideration I have decided to pursue A+ and later N+ using the self study route.

However I am seriously tempted to for for MCDSE qualification, the training camp advisors have pointed me in this direction (which has impressed me because its actually a cheaper course than I originally approached them to do).

6. Tom Chambers

Tom Chambers New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post, so hello to all!

I'm looking at doing training with the The Training Camp, i'm really impressed with the fact the price is all inclusive and you gain your certification in a number of days.

I work with a few guys who have attended their bootcamps - all of which are very positive.

I also like their approach, I dodn't feel like i was getting 'the hard sell' and the advice I got was really helpful.

What other bootcamps are there out there?

7. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

Yes they seem to be totally honest, brutally honest at times, makes you see the pitch from other providers as the hard sell it really is.