Books or Training Course?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by secretcrowds, Feb 25, 2009.

1. secretcrowds

secretcrowds New Member

Hey guys!

I am looking into earning a certification in MCDST, and then upgrading to MCITP - Enterprise Support..

Now I have looked into training courses with places like computeach etc.. but all having hefty proces of upwards of £650.. is abit hard to come by at the moment (especially with an 11 month old to look after too)

so I was wondering wether its 'better' to purchase the Microsoft Self Study books for these courses and learn it myself through the books/cd-roms, and then just go for the test when I feel ready.

Ive been working as an IT Support Technician for about 2 years now, and have a good understand of XP and plenty of software..

So im asking for your guys' help to guide me in the right direction with this.. as to what to do about training or books.. and which books to purchase if that's the better option.

And also if you have had experience of passing the exams and getting your certification by use of either training or books.. i'd love to hear about the pro's and con's of each :)

thanks in advance.

WIP: MCDST, MCITP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you'll need books wether you do a course or not. Like I said on your other thread most people on here self study as it is cheaper than doing a course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Just buy the books,i've commented in great detail in recent posts
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread31209.html
    why i think only the books are needed,It's a waste of money going any other possible route in my view.

Especially for someone with the lengthy experience that you already have.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Since you have two years experience you should be fine with self-study and a test sim like Transcender. If you had zero experience than the course would be more wise, but you should be fine.

As far as books go, most here recommend the Microsoft Press books and I like the layout. You read a section then answer review questions. For me this is the best way to learn as you get to apply what you just read and then go back and read it again if you do not understand the questions.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  5. secretcrowds

secretcrowds New Member

nice one. thanks all!

:)

WIP: MCDST, MCITP