Books and Resources

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Feb 10, 2005.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Now that I'm back in the saddle, so to speak. Mike Meyers All In One the 6th edition covers the the 2006 objectives?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Peggsta

Peggsta Bit Poster

I do have the old 2003 mike myers book which I got a year ago and thought it was great, however, now that I'm training for the exam (finally) I got this Thomson course technology book from amazon by Jean Andrews for £20 + the 800+ Q&As book for £15.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1598633511

I find it to be very good and well explained with very good images of hardware.

Only downside is the cdrom videos let it down cos, in my view the videos are all basic stuff I already know but the old american bird stumbles on her words a lot lol, makes a good laugh if ya in the mood.

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  4. Helxx

Helxx New Member

Ok now this may be a silly question but here goes...

Does the 6th edition of mike meyers book cover all that is needed for the Comptia A+ 2007???

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

For starters the objectives are 2006 not 2007 and yes 6th edition is the latest edition that covers those objectives.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. pocket raver

pocket raver New Member

Firstly I'd like to say hello as I'm new on here!

I was just wandering if the Mike Meyers all in one exam guide 6th edition which seems to cover 2006 objectives is still the most up to date edition out as it is now 2008 (case anyone forget haha)?

Also Jean Andrews has been recommended but the latest edition I can find by her is 2007 with 2006 objectives also!?

Will these book get me through 2008 exams? Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks Emma

WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael

No idea about the Andrews book. The Meyers 6th Edition is what you need to get the job done.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. pocket raver

pocket raver New Member

Brilliant! Thank you very much, will purchase now!

9. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Is there any others you would reccomend?

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  10. BosonMichael

If you want labs that relate to the A+, I'd recommend PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles. Other than that, no, there are no others I'd recommend.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just to clarify a bit on the Jean Andrews books, she has a history of producing some quality materials on the A+ exam and has been writing books for that exam for years. Once, some years back, I wrote some mock test questions for one of her books. If you want to get an idea of how her works have been reviewed, try the following links:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1598633511

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0619217588

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Im getting very close to my exams and have been studying off Jean Andrews forth eddition Hardware & Software. I can't see many comment's or peoples opinions on these books on the forum. Are they good?

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  13. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

right im looking at this link to see which books to buy to take CompTIA 2006 A+, so can anyone give me a definitave list or which book to buy !

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd recommend PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles and the all in one A+ by Mike Meyers 6th edition and two computers to pull things apart on. That's all you'd need for preparing for the A+ cert comptia exam. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep another vote for compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I bought the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ "all in one" book... It was the "Sixth" edition - not the "fifth" edition one. I never noticed this whilst looking through the Amazon site, and looking at customer reviews to decide which book was best for me to invest in... Even though it was £20-40, it was considered a lot of money from my bank account at this time (especially when it takes 4-5 days for the money to be taken out my bank account :O ) but I bought the latest edition one, and bought it 2nd hand so I could get it cheaper (but still brand new look/condition - discs unopened etc.)

For the book itself - it's huge, and was intimidating thinking this compTIA A+ seems complicated. It's worded for people like me, who lack concentration lol, and really gives insight to a lot - and guess what - I've not even read the actual content of CompTIA A+ yet - just about how useful the qualification is, and why it's important - an introduction that really makes you keen to read on and learn

Good book - I don't know about any others because I haven't read any - this is my first, but on the cover it has that it's the #1 selling book on the subject - I can clearly see why

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
  17. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

does anyone use the traing dvd's and cd's

i found this on ebay CompTIA Training DVDs A+ NETWORK+ CISCO plus Exam Q&A had good feedback, what do you think

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  18. BosonMichael

Do you have a link?

Although I can't confirm it without a link, they are more than likely selling either pirated copies of software, braindumps, or both.

19. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

the Item number is: 140282363813

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That's not what matters on here I'm afraid buddy - we have a few members who make their living producing Certification training material. Fake goods directly damages their livelihoods - it's not something we like.

From looking at that link, it's going to be DVDs crammed with braindumps - illegal training materials. Using them can get you decertified for life, so I'd steer clear for your own good, and just grab Mike Meyers' All in One and work your way up from there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA