Bonded DSL vs Load Balancing

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by BB88, Mar 1, 2012.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I look after a remote site that due to location from the exchange has a very slow Downstream/Upstream.

I have talked to several local providers and some are in favour of Bonded DSL with 2xADSL Lines and others are suggesting just using Load Balancing with 2xADSL Lines.

I am trying to get my head around what the actual difference would be?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Bonded DSL is where the ADSL are meant to be aggregated to give you higher throughput.

We have tried a few different providers and generally it jsut falls in a heap.

Load Balancing is where you either split services manually across two ADSL lines e.g. web on one, email on another etc etc. Or you can have a firewall do this for you normally using Round Robin.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Cheers Craigie, that's great help!:D

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  4. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

I have bonded ADSL lines in the past, with cisco kit via MLPPP (Multilink PPP) not linux boxes as is the alternative, although this is great and gives you the increase thruput (up and down) the problem comes when you have a flap on one of the lines (like a low sync event or noise on the line) it then causes the bundle (MLPPP) to drop and re-establish itself .... so you then end up having to take one of the lines out of the bundle.

...Which when you initially think about it, you think you have extra resilience with more lines but in practice you dont as you end up takin the line out of the bundle, if you were bonding something more stable than DSL then great.

BUT if you do have 2,3 or 4 solid lines then great... BUT just be warned
    just my two pennith :D

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)