Bonded ADSL

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Mar 1, 2006.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I have been given the job to reprice our internet connection at school. Currently we have a leased 2 meg line up and down which is uncontended. It costs us a pretty penny I can tell you. By shopping around I have reduced the cost of the line to a more reasonable cost.

My boss threw bonded ADSL at me suggesting it may be an alternative to the least line. So, what is it, does it do exactly was it says on the tin, does it work can you really bond 4 ADSL lines together and make a nice fast connection. Appreiciate that your up speed will be lower than we have had before. If anyone has had any experience of this or can explain the pros and cons I would be very grateful.

:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bonded ADSL is only available from a few vendors, as it *usualy* requires special setup/kit at the ISP.

I can't supply a list of people providing it, but a shout on adslguide will probably shake out some providers.

The way it works sounds simple enough - you have a couple (or more) of lines with ADSL, and some fancy software/hardware to add on, and those lines now are 'joined' into a fatter pipe.

A similar trick is done with ISDN to bond the two channels of ISDN2 together to get 128kbps.

The problem with ADSL compared to a leased line is the SLA. There isn't one! With a leased line there should have been a SLA about availability. In reducing the cost you may have reduced the terms of the SLA as well. ADSL comes with no guarantees at all.

Now this may not be a problem to you, but it needs to be kept in mind.

As this is at a school it will be worthwhile checking to see if your area is part of a "grid for learning" or similar scheme to get good connectivity at a bargain price.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+