Blackberry?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by NightWalker, Apr 22, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Anyone else support a Blackberry enterprise at work? We have about 100 Blackberry users, mainly the top brass and those that travel a lot between offices. Most of the users have 8700s, we also have a few newer 8300 handsets. BES server is quite easy to administer, we don’t get many issues really. Generally a nuke and rebuild of the handset or a reboot of the BES server and attachment server and everything is back to normal. By far the most common issue..... users forgetting their passwords (no surprise there!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Jim Balsillie is the devil.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps, support BES in my current environment. Works like a dream - don't do support so don't have to touch the handsets, but occasionally get problems which are pretty easy to resolve. That said, we have only got 70 Blackberry users so its hardly surprising! One thing I will say is remember to clear out your logs regularly (if you're running logging at a high level) as it gives you absolutely zero warning and can crash the **** out of the BES server if you let them fill up

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - why's that Mike? I hear Hamilton's quite nice this time of year... :biggrin

5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

I just got given a blackberry as our department was asked to offer them to all the engineers, so we can pick up emails when out on the patch.
    No problems with it so far. As far as support goes, they usually just reboot the server .. heheh

I'll keep an eye for the logs building up though, as there are well over 100 'berries out there. Cheers zeb.

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yep, got a BES at work. I'm currently supporting about 45 users. No major problems as of yet, just the usual support questions (passwords, how do you do this or that etc).

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. NightWalker

I dont know what level of logging is set, I will have a look tomorrow.

8. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah we have a BES to, only 11 users though so I hardly ever have to touch the server or support the handsets. Nearly all of the issues have come from our MD who somehow manages to break every piece of technology he touches!!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  9. BosonMichael

I believe the Governor's wife said it best: :p

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yep I support one too although I hardly ever need to touch it, we have about 40 blackberries out in the wild, mine being one of them (and my personal phone is a BB as well). Mostly any issues are solved by taking the batteries out and getting the it policy reapplied.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, support BES in a Notes environment. Works well although the BES decided to chuck it one day and would not connect to the SQL database. Ended up having to restore the whole thing. However there was far too many apps installed on the server IMO. :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

That might be, but I think the guy to her right is carrying a Backberry under is suit jacket :twisted:

13. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Lol - your MD must be related to ours - I've lost count of the number of times he's had a new PDA. He either smashes them, loses them or drops them into the toilet!:blink

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  14. NightWalker

We revamped the IT policy a month or so back; man, get some more settings! Took hours to go through and configure it all the way we wanted it, then about 5 minutes to apply it to all the users.... no more bluetooth and brickbreaker for them!

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - well, I had about six months of worry whilst he tried to whisk the Pens away from Pittsburgh, but I realised that Super Mario was just using him to 'persuade' the Pittsburgh governer and city council to fund a new arena to replace Mellon (which has seen better days...).

So Balisillie, although obviously an unwitting tool, is a hero to me :twisted:

Just kidding Mike - the man's an arse!

16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We'e just set6 up a BES server, not enterprise, for 3 users, expected to grow by a couple or five.

Got to admit once set up it looks after itself, it's a dream

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. BosonMichael

That's the Governor. If Phil had carried a Blackberry, Andrea would have taken a hammer to it by now!

18. BosonMichael

As is his lawyer, Richard Rodier. During a radio interview, Rodier was asked about Balsillie's intentions and what he could tell the people of Nashville... Rodier said "Just chill," under the pretenses that they weren't moving the Predators anywhere. Ahhhhh, that just pissed us off even more, especially when they immediately started selling Hamilton Predators tix!

Glad he didn't successfully touch the Pens or the Preds. Perhaps he should pursue the remaining P team, the Panthers.

19. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

We're managing about 350 BB users with no issues, other that forgotten passwords.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah - Sunrise is no place for hockey!