Blackberry server

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ManicMonkey, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

i just finished my job today :S and ironically enough got a phone call tonight about a possible job, its supporting blackberry servers among other things.

Not having touched these before, i was wondering how difficult they are to administer?

Cheers in advance :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Heres the official site

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

There isn't really much to write about blackberry server, its a server that is used to manager blackberry handheld devices for e-mail on the move, phone call and a pda all in one.

In retrospect it does run its own blackberry e-mail type server that integrates with exchange server quite well and then the blackberry devices assigned unique numbers on the server that synchronizes with the device and email server etc.

It is quite an interesting gadget to support especially with the end users learning to use it and asking questions like how do I etc. You can have a look at their web site to get more insight etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Run away! Ruuuuun aaawwwaaaaayyyyyy!!!! :blink

For an Exchange-based organization, I'd highly recommend Windows Mobile-based devices. Absolutely seamless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Well for the last 3 days I was thrown in at the deep end with blackberry support (a member of stuff who looks after these kind of things was on a course)and I have learned quite a bit in this short time, I coped so I'm sure you would pick it up. The BES seams quite easy to administrate but I hear it can be a bit of a task to set up in the first place.

A few things that may save you a few headaches:

1) Make sure the mobile carrier (vodaphone,t mobile etc) have activated the SIM for enterprise use, this week I had 8 sent that were not!!

2)make sure the user is added in the BES don't take anyone else's word for it!!

3)If a blackberry device starts acting crazy, its just quicker to wipe the unit and reconfigure it for the user.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  6. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Hmm will definatly keep these in mind cheers :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well