Blackberry Alternative?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JohnBradbury, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a blackberry alternative?

I'm a total crackberry addict and it's about time for a new phone. However I'm willing to entertain the thought that there may be a better solution for my needs.

I need access to me email 24/7
    I want to be able to surf the web in all it's glory
    I need text and phone capabilities
    Easy typing (something the blackberry rules at)

I may think of a few others too ...

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I know what you mean John. We've just put a blackberry solution in at work for the Headmaster, dep head and the Bursar. Had some on trial with the blackberry enterprise server. Software was "interesting" to install but once it's there you just forget it.

Nope can't think of anything better.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. redcard

redcard Bit Poster

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not for me, had a Blackberry server go down last week as it would not talk to the SQL database. Ended up having to restore both servers from tape!

Had a quick look on the net for answers and some other people had the same problem. Some said that taking the BES off the domain and putting it back on fixed the problem. Weird!

Just out of curiosity are you using Exchange server for email? I find that enabling push technology is a quicker way to get a few people with PDAs up and running. No need to install BES etc etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like BES but it’s too much ££££ just to give a few people email ‘on the move’.

Apologies, didn’t mean to hijack this thread btw! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I want a Blackjack II. :kngt

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I had a Blackberry with work, found it was taking over my life... sat in meetings reading emails. Some guys even take theirs into the toilets, and you can hear the scroll wheel turn as they're sat in the traps reading their emails. Gave it back, and I now have a Nokia mobile phone. Peace at last! 8)

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

This is very VERY true! Why sit on the bog fiddling with a BB. That's the last place I'd want to use one! It's a known law that unless it's an emergency, YOU DON'T DO A #2 AT WORK/SCHOOL/PUBLIC LAV'S!!!!

I used to work for RIM a while back, I've had every BlackBerry device on me at the same time (yes, even the first generation BB's that looked like pagers). On my person I carried an 8800 and a tester Curve unit.

It's true, they are 'Crackberry' devices. I don't ever want one again for personal/work use.

I do like the Blackjack II though, that looks like it would do everything I want for a phone etc. I won't have one for work though, no way. These days I just carry around a very cheap, basic Samsung. It does all I need it to for work (text and make/receive calls) and that is all I want it to do. When I'm off call it's switched off and nobody bothers me until I switch it on again (and get about 950m voice mails!!).

BlackBerry devices are great, there is no denying that. But they are an enormous ball and chain offered to you by your employer. Choose wisely before you take one on, AND STOP USING IT IN THE BOGS!!!!! :hahaha

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I've always loved the Blackberry. My previous company was part of their pilot when it first launched - that's right, mono colour email only and bigger than most pagers at the time.

Although my Nokia phones have always done me well, the Blackberry phones can hold their own. Saying that, I'm not addicted to it. I've had it disconnected from the enterprise mail server for weeks and it didn't bother me. So it's not an addiction thing. I also never look at it during a meeting - I find that very rude to the guests and presenter/speaker(s).

To answer the original question:
    I've heard the Nokia (E90?) is very good; on the flip side I've heard the Moto Q and Palm Treo are horrible.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

There are really only two primary choices for this
    a Blackberry, or a Windows mobile device connected to an Exchange 2003 SP2 or newer system (I think it was SP2 atleast!!)

Once that is satisfied you just need to look at handsets, you can get windows mobbiles with full qwerties, slide outs, blackberry formats, or you can stick with the black berrys themselves, the curve and such are quite spiffy

I had a HTC TyTN 2 before getting my iPhone, works great for me, a bit bulky, but most things with a qwerty kb are!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

We use the Palm Treo 750 using email through Exchange 2003.

They use security certificates to authenticate, and once set up unless they lose their certificates (by the device going dead) they never need wired resyncing.

I think they're a great device, but they don't seem as user friendly as the Blackberry (but that's mainly only because the Blackberry is so commonplace - all of our users see other people with them, and think they should have them too. Because we haven't gone with them, we are somehow providing them with 'inferior' products).

To be fair, we are looking to replace this as, whilst the device in itself is great, the manufacturer support for it is apathetic at best. I would like to point out though, that we are trying to avoid Blackberrys. lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At work we issue out and use the blackberry pearl 8100, wow! these buttons are small especially if you've big fingers:) and the BES interfacing with exchange server 2000.

In terms of alternative I'd say probably the T-Mobile MDA range vario 3 is superb with qwerty, keyboard with slides. I would go for this towards the end of the year as I don't want to pay to pay £200 plus for it as my upgrade would get it for me with less £££:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. JohnBradbury

Thanks for all the replies guys.

My BB is a personal one so I'm not hassled with work related stuff unless I choose to be. I've used a Blackberry Pearl in the past and took it back for the older model - those buttons really are too small.

So far the front runners are:

BB Curve
    Blackjack II
    MDA

I probably going to pony up the dough for the Curve and give it a spin. Although web browsing hasn't been a strong point of the previous BB models I've had.

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'll get you the number for BAA (BlackBerry Addicts Anonymous) in advance then hehehe....

If web browsing is a concern, i'd go for the Blackjack II, would suit your needs far better.

14. JohnBradbury

Today I decided to take a walk around town and try out a few phones. I managed to get my hands on the Blackjack, BB Curve, and the MDA.

and .... you guessed it

I walked home with my new Blackberry Curve 8320 :biggrin:biggrin

Thanks for all the input guys

15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE TOILETS!!!!!!! Hehehehe!

What did you make of the Blackjack? Was it the Blackjack II or the first incarnation? The two differ significantly.

Congrats on the buy though, the Curve is a great phone (or the 8800 is just as good. Depending on if you want a camera or not). Have fun with it, but don't get addicted!!!

:aaah

16. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good choice with the Blackberry Curve! :clap
    I would have made the same choice - but as mentioned I'm biased :twisted: