Bit of advice req'd

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dotti, Mar 16, 2008.

1. dotti

dotti New Member

Hi, am looking for a career change and have decided on 'network engineer'.......I have basic knowledge so presume from what I have read already the A+ is where i need to start then network+.......i have googled numerous sites for home study as have a job and 2 tiddly winks so hectic......any recommendations of any self study sites would be greatly appreciated....i have had some stuff sent to me already from the home learing college but it seems bit dodgy due to a 'credit agreement'. I have sent my details to computeach but after what i have read on here i will avoid them like the plague....sorry for waffling on.......:biggrin

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - welcome to CF!

Second - yes - A+ and Network+ will be good starter certs.

There are some excelent books available for A+ - just look in the forum here for lots of advice.

And don't forget to ask lots of questions!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Aspiring to be a network engineer is great! However... and I don't mean to dash your aspirations... but one doesn't just jump into being a network engineer, even after training, because network engineer jobs typically require years of IT experience. To become a network engineer, one typically gets an entry-level IT job, such as help desk tech, level 1 tech, PC repair tech, or field service tech. Then, they typically move up to desktop support, systems/server administration, and THEN network administration.

If I haven't scared you away from IT (and I hope I haven't), start out with the A+, which is a great entry-level certification. And, as you've gathered from the forums, self-study is the way to go. Pick up a copy of the A+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by Pyles, sit down with an old PC, and lay your hands on it. :)

Even before you get your A+, start looking for entry-level IT jobs. If you get your A+ before getting your first IT job, add the A+ to your CV and keep looking. You can then pursue other entry-level certifications, such as the Network+ and MCDST. And that's about as far as you should certify until you start building some real-world IT experience.

Hope this helps! And welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. dotti

dotti New Member

thanks for the advice....i know its gonna take some time to reach my goal......in an ideal world i would like to work as an engineer within telecommunications..... i work in aviation now so my brain needs to forget emergency landings and fire procedures etc and get technical!!.:blink.....i will go and get the suggested books and make a start asap....will keep you posted and no doubt pick your brains from time to time!!:sunny :biggrin

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

There's some good advice already listed above.
    Welcome to the forums, and good luck with the studying... :study