BIOS question

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If I install a cpu into a mobo that doesn't reconise the cpu can the bios be upgraded without having to install a cpu that it does reconise?

BTW if you don't see me respond it'll mean I am busy at work but hopefully I will be able to :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on just how it "doesn't recognise" the CPU. If the CPU doesn't run at all, or is very flaky then it won't work. Otherwise it *might*.

Because the flash procedure can inherently make the motherboard unbootable this isn't something I'd want to risk.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

You'll need to check the motherboard manufacturer's website. You may be able to 'flash' the BIOS which may add additional support for newer chips (of the same type - e.g. LGA775's) but you'll deffo need to check.

If flashing the BIOS doesn't give support then the answer is no.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. greenbrucelee

Cheers Harry

The mobo (asus rampage formula) qvl list has two mentions of the cpu I am going to buy (E8400). It says the originial bios will run it but then has a bios revision for it underneath. What I don't want to do is put in the cpu and end up with a buggy boot up before but then again I may be lucky and get the mobo with its latest BIOS on it.

Here's a link to the page to show you what I mean http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Rampage%20Formula

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd ask the supplier to make sure the BIOS is correct first then.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depends on how incompatible the processor is, if it can't run reliably in a downgraded fashion then the computer won't boot.
    Since the flash utility is just a program like any other you need a working processor to run it.

Far as i'm aware all 80x86 processors have support for the earlier instruction sets and should hopefully run at lower bus speeds.

You could use a deadicated chip programmer if you were the manufacturer, I'd specify your requirements when buying the board and state you will return for full refund if you can't make it work with your desired CPU, better still buy them together from same place.

7. Qs

Presumably you already have the motherboard. Do you know which BIOS revision you have? (It'll list it in the BIOS screen on boot. ) Check this first, if its post revision 0108 then you'll be fine with the E8400. If it's a previous revision then you'll need to flash it in order for it to work.

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. greenbrucelee

0108 was the original BIOS but I see there's a newer version for this cpu does that mean some features may not work with the original BIOS?

Another question I have is: I flashed the BIOS and my current system (foolishly through windows) during post I notice the following line: Intel core 2 duo processor : 1.59GHz (2 cpus)
    CPU brand name Intel core 2 duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz

The first part made no sense to me as I had never seen that on the post screen before, when I went into the BIOS I noticed that the cpu multiplier had been set to 6 instead 8 as it should be. Does this normally happen? or is it because I flashed the BIOS through Windows?

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Are you nuts ! :twisted:

Lower multipliers are usually fairly safe, it just means the processor will run slower. Higher ones than specced for your CPU can be dangerous and melt your CPU !

Just fix the setting in the BIOS and check it again.

Who knows, only the manufacturer knows for sure, you can read the various BIOS versions release notes to see what the changes are.
    Normally its bug fixes and support for newer devices, higher bus speeds etc. The hardware is already there to support this of course, they are just patching the firmware to make it work.

10. Qs

Doubtful, but maybe. Check the manufacturer's website - it should state what changes/revisions were made. In this case the E8400 will be fine with your 0108 BIOS - it shouldn't be crippled or anything like that. But...just because there's a later revision available doesn't mean A) that you need to install it (for fear of buggering up your settings etc) or B) that it has any tangible beneficial updates to your hardware.

If you're not sure - then don't do it.

When you flash the BIOS settings revert to factory defaults. For instance.... say prior to flashing your BIOS you had manually set your memory timings. After a BIOS flash these timings would be defaulted - you'd have to set them again. Same goes for multipliers.

As for the message - it's more than likely due to more information being shown to the user (you) on boot. The 1.59GHz relates to each core on your dual core chip.

To summarise - It looks like to managed to flash the BIOS fine. You may need to check your BIOS settings and set them again manually though (as they've probably been reset to default). Your new chip should also work great with the motherboard, but it's always best to check.

Hope this helps :)

11. greenbrucelee

Yeah my bad :D

I do know it is supposed to be 8 this is why I notice the multiplier being different when I checked.

12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This isn't always the case, sometimes the settings are in a seperate area of flash memory and don't get overwritten. Generally in this case its recommended to go into the BIOS and do a reset BIOS defaults, to reset them anyway to ensure they all have valid values for the new BIOS version, sometimes the values change from one BIOS version to the next invalidating your settings and causing weird bugs.

13. greenbrucelee

ah right, cheers for that.

I'll check it out when I get the cpu. :D

cheers this is what I wanted to know, thanks rep given :)

That's what I thought, it must have been part of the BIOS update.

Cheers mate, great help :)

14. Qs

Yeah, I seemed to change modal verb partway through my response. The aforementioned quote is more on the ball. :p

To greenbrucelee - Glad I was able to help :)

Qs

15. greenbrucelee

everything else was fine it was just the multiplier that changed as I had never changed anything elsse on the mobo.

16. Qs

Ahh right! Well in all honesty I thought you had chosen the E8400 specifically for overclocking purposes - mainly because it's a beast.

I'd highly recommend pushing the chip, even if it's not that much as (when combined with a decent CPU cooler etc) it can get up to 4Ghz on air alone. :twisted:

A guide is here if you wish to browse it at your leisure - http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=717

(Just remember all of these kinds of acts void your warranty so be careful with what you do)

Hope this sparks your interest. :)

Qs

17. greenbrucelee

I will be clocking the e8400 as the asus rampage formula is built for overclocking, it also has a nifty little feature in the bios called cpu leve up which safely overclocks cpus for you.

I am also getting an an Antec 1200 gaming case to house all my bits and either a tuniq tower 120 or zalman 9500a led cpu cooler for the cpu.

Thanks for the link :)

18. Qs

Sounds like a plan! Sorry for the late response - was on holiday last weekend. Glad you found it useful.

Personally, I'd choose the Tuniq Tower over the zalman. My two cents. :)

Qs

19. greenbrucelee

I am going to buy all the bits from Overclockers.com I am just waiting for some parts to arrive and next payday. If they have the tuniq tower in then (currently ouf stock) I will get that.

This is my first build for a very long time so hopefully it'll go smoothley.

20. Qs

Overclockers can be very good though Scan is sometimes cheaper - it may be worth looking there too as a comparison.

If you need me to check components or require advice on specific hardware choices then I'll be more than happy to help. :)

Qs