BIOS and CMOS questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 10, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Wait a second, if you can't change anything in the BIOS, then how can you change the Boot order? Isn't this done from inside the BIOS? Well, I guess we're back to square one here since the CMOS and the BIOS are referred to as the same thing, alright so no need to answer this.

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Mike, why dont you have a look in your BIOS ( i think its F2 on your machine) , you'll notice you can change quite a few options, but remember do not save any chances, or if you want to make sure you know which options you have changed and under what screen...

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The way I think of it, is that the BIOS and CMOS are more or less the same thing. Together they configure and control the computer prior to control being passed to the operating system. So, the operating system is independant and hence irrelevant.

The CMOS is a type of chip CMOS that needs to be powered by a battery. The BIOS is a program that runs on a different type of chip and it doesn't need a battery. It's program can be upgraded with a flash utility and it remembers it's program without the need for power.

Both of these things can be configured to some extent nowadays by entering setup before the OS starts to load.

I have never seen separate screens for CMOS and BIOS, and would not expect to find two setup screens on modern computers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

@Cheekmaster
    I have done BIOS changes in the past like changing Boot order, configuring drives e.t.c, I have scrapped and put pc's together and even have done some very advanced things that amazed people in the past so I am familiar with a lot of the stuff I will be inquiring about here but the reason why I am asking so many questions [and will continue to] is becuase this is the very first time I am getting into raw "basics" of the pc and for exam purposes I will not say I understand something until I actually do, if I were to be doing just pc repair withoput the need for certification then this would be an entirely different story and I wouldn't even be here.

@Bluerinse
    I have never seen 2 screens either but I have come across CMOS screens and BIOS screens while dealing with different older pc's in the past but the way Meyers has it in the book, I am just making SURE that I understand what he is talking about so in the book you will see a screen with the heading "CMOS setup utility" and then you may see another with the heading "BIOS", this is what led me on this trip to make sure that there aren't 2 separate screens for this "on one pc"!!

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The BIOS itself doesn't have any settings - all those are held in the CMOS. The BIOS reads the CMOS to display the current settings. Otherwise good.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. hbroomhall

The OS is irelevant. It could be Linux. The settings are basline settings for the motherboard.

Harry.

7. hbroomhall

No - Meyers is just reflecting the general sloppiness in nomenclature of this thing.

Harry.