Bickenhall College anyone?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by agfa gaevart, Aug 19, 2010.

1. agfa gaevart

agfa gaevart New Member

:biggrin
    Hi guys and gals.
    I'm a newbie in these here parts, and i've just taken the plunge and signed up after secretly browsing the site for a few weeks. Anyhow, I wanted to know if anyone here had any dealings with Bickenhall College in Baker Street London. My employer told me to find a course, and this place has a load. The one I'm after is the CompTIA A+ which they're doing for about 700 quid. I personally wouldn't bother paying out that sort of dosh, :blink as I've been happily reading Mike Myers big book in my spare time for the last month or so. But they seem to be okay judging by their site (I know any old fool can build a website) and the guy I spoke to on the phone. My local FE college used to run this as a full time course, at a cost of £1,500 :blink but they stopped it for some reason. Anyway, I can only do a one week course.

I've done a few Google searches on the name, but the only bad reviews I found, were on their own site. :biggrin :blink http://www.bcoc.co.uk/reviewAll.aspx

My background goes like this:
    I've been an AV technician in a college for about 8 years. I have some PC experience like installing OS, NICs, various software/hardware, Anti-virus. I have a good idea how to sort out certain PC problems, but I don't know much of the jargon (until now thanks to Mike Myers great book!) We have Ghost running on our PCs that go out to lecturers, to stop 'em installing viruses on 'em, but they still blame us for infecting their sticks :rolleyes: But that's another story. We also have a number of data projectors to look after etc, and things seem to be getting more software based as some of my colleagues are doing Crestron programming and Final Cut Pro courses.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. IDDQD

IDDQD New Member

I've done my CompTia A+ at bickenhall college, trainer was ok, overall not too bad, but the point is, I don't think I really needed the course at all. Mike Myers book + Training video would have been enough. At the end of the day it's your choice if you feel like you need the course - the A+, when I did it anyway, seemed more like a history lesson to me, what with learning about 386, 486 etc. The networking side of things however were important. They do a course there where they fit the whole thing in one week. If you have read the book and take this course, you should pass with no problems. But if you can get a hold of the A+ video that Mike Myers did, you may not need the course at all.