Best way to train? MCITP: Server Admin

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by nick9one1, Jul 6, 2011.

1. nick9one1

nick9one1 Bit Poster

Just wondering on the best way yot train for MCITP: Server admin 2008.
    I train quite well from videos, so anything video based would be good. TrainSignal springs to mind, does anyone have any feedback on their Server Admin course?

2. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I'm currently studying/or at least starting to plan studies for my Server 2003 exams.

I've ordered the Microsoft training book and I've set up a Server 2003 virtual machine/network that I'm just going to mess around with.

Having the virtual lab allows me to properly play around and try things I wouldn't dream of being able to touch in work.

3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Alg, What particular way are you going through the process of "trial and error"?
    I'm on the 291, so the last for my MCSA, and think that I would benefit hugely from actually breaking and setting up stuff but I'm lost exactly how best to do it - read the whole book (I have the MS Press book too) and then lab, or read a chapter and then lab what you have just done.

One of my biggest problems, now as well as when I was at uni, is lack of imagination. When given a challenge, I can come up with stuff and can learn but if I'm just given the material, ie, C programming language, as I don't have a clearly defined goal to achieve I find that I float along and don't achieve anything.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you've just hit on the difference between certs and experience. Certs can teach you how to do things when it's all roses, experience tells you what to do when the excrement hits the air-recirculator.
    I've just fired up my home lab again (had a few homers the past couple of weeks so had to move the server out of the way to plug in the test rigs) and I got a 'hardware error' when I tried to ping the default gateway. Took me ages to figure that that 'hardware error' meant 'media state disconnected' :oops:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Doh! I love making those mistakes sometimes - gives me a sense of humility that I don't know everything and little things should never be overlooked!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It's not a mistake I'm likely to make again, that's for sure.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Blessed

Blessed New Member

I dont think there is a best way to train for the exam it depends on the individual and how they retain information.
    Trainsignal provide some good study materials and instructional videos. I would suggest you get the microsoft training materials as well. Hope it helps.

Certifications: A+, N+ Security +, MCITP Ent Admin

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+ Security +, MCITP Ent Admin
    WIP: BSc Computer Science