best way to become a computer technician?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Carl, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Carl

Carl New Member

Hi all, my names Carl and this is my first post so i appologise if this is just another thread repeating what hundreds of others say :oops:

My story is that i dont actually have any computer qualifications other than a level 2 key skills certificate but ive always been pretty handy with computers, we own 4 in our house an i often solve individual problems they have. My parents pretty much forced me into work as soon as i left school but ive always wanted to be an IT technician and i recently found out my local college (a Cisco networking academy and an Microsoft IT academy) offers a Microsoft desktop support technician night class but that starts around january.

So as a beginner can i pass that course? and to past the time till then i can either sign up for a MCP 70-290 or a MCP 70-270 course, would either of these help me get there as well?

thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Carl,
    there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to study for and pass the MCDST certification, which consists of 2 exams 70-271 and 70-272. I'd concentrate on these exams before moving onto any others and come back to us when you either have the MCDST or are stuck with something you've learned.

Alternative certs people on here get are the CompTIA A+ and then the N+ so check out the relevant sections on here as practically everything you need to know about the MCDST, A+ and N+ is on there.

In the mean time, why not knock up a CV and apply for some trainee IT roles, you never know. Having IT certs isn't always required for the entry level positions as employers often like you to gain them whilst working on the job. I got into IT with just my A'Levels and none were in IT.

Good luck
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Carl

Carl New Member

Hey Jim, thanks a lot for the reply :)

i think i will try for the trainee jobs i spose they really couldnt hurt and i guess ill save the 70-270/290 for when ive done the MCDST and thanks for the tip about the A+ and N+, ill probably give one of them a go before starting the course in january

4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If the MCDST course is good enough, you shouldn't have much difficulty in passing 271 and 272.

You've still got 4 months left before that course would begin, so unless you do like jk said (i.e. get an apprentice IT job or try for an A+/N+), I personally would buy a study book for exam 70-270, spend the next few months reading that and doing all the labs that it contains, and then attempting the exam in November or December.

Two things will happen at this point.

1) If you pass, you'll have your first MCP in 2009 (which in turn sounds better if someone asks which year you achieved your first certification) and you'll have a very solid foundation for the MCDST course.

2) Or if you don't pass, at least you'll have a solid foundation for the MCDST course and you won't go there blind. It's always a good thing to stay ahead of the class and you'll have an infinitely better understanding of the study material than the other students ;)

From there, you just need to do one more exam (your fourth) to get an MCTS and MCITP (i.e. the upgrade exams to Windows Vista or Windows 7). In total, your CV will then say:

MCP
    MCDST
    MCTS
    MCITP

A+ and N+ are also very useful, and if I were you, I would definitely self study for those. The trick is that whilst many don't believe in IT classes, I think they're a good basis to get one off the ground. If you attend 1 or 2 of them for your first few exams, you'll pick up a good rythm to continue future studying at your own pace. Basically you pick up the skill to study for IT ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I also agree with the A+, Network+, and MCDST plan. Those are solid, entry-level certifications that should serve you well.

That said, you don't HAVE to have ANY of them to get your first IT job. Start applying for them as soon as possible. After you achieve a certification, add it to your CV and pursue the next one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Carl, and welcome to CF:) I pretty much agree with the route of starting with the A+ as this would give you a solid foundation.

I'd also go for the MS exam 70-271 and 70-272 to gain the MCDST, Microsoft certified desktop support technician.

Best wishes and finally start looking for 1st line support and helpdesk roles.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell