Best place to start, A+ ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by chippy1722, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chippy1722

chippy1722 New Member

hi all,

I found this forum by accident the other day while searchiong on yahoo.

I've already gained plenty of tips just scanning through posts.

I am curerntly working in the Civil Service doing Office work and would like to change career, I have been trying to decide what to do for a while now It was either Accounts or It and I have decided to go into IT.

i have used computers all my life and would say i know my way around one, but more in the software and programs side than the Technical side. I am eventually looking to study the MCDST course but I want to study the A+ first, I have noticed some home study courses on the net but noticed that a lot of people on here preferred to do it themselves with the Mike Meyers book etc, what I wanted to know is whether the A+ is a good place to start or would i be better trying do a more basic course before that.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ is an excellent place to start, get the Mike Meyers book and if you can an old PC to mess with and get PC Techncian street smarts by James Pyles as it will help you practice skills you will need.

After the A+ do the N+ then the MCDST the A+ and N+ will provide a good grounding for the stuff you will have to tackle in the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. chippy1722

chippy1722 New Member

I actually meant to write about whether it would be good to get some old PC's, we tend to have quite a few bits and bobs around amongst relatives. thank you for your reply, very quick indeed.

I think I may just buy the books myself and study at home, it would save a lot of money and not many Home study providers seem to get good reviews anyway.

The N+ is the bit I'm worried about, I havn't really used Networks and they are the only bit I worry about learning, but I guess It's the same with every subject you don't know.

Thanks Again.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well the A+ will prepare you for the N+ if you get the All in one exam guide and by then you will be able to do something like download virtual pc a run a virtual network at home which will help you study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+ is a great place to start.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

As GBL and BM have already stated, the A+ is a great starting point.
    Welcome to the forums... :shades

7. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

I've had polish IT technician education written to CV from the beggining, but nobody even mailed me for several weeks of sending my applications for different positions... After only a 4 days of sending new CV with "I backed up my polish education by aquiring A+ certification" in it I have had at least 3 different calls asking questions about me.. and already have an interview tomorrow..

So, YES, A+ is quite a good start to work with..

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  8. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

By the time you've finished studying for the Network+ exam the stuff you were worried about will be like something you've known forever and take for granted. Thats how it was for me with the A+. So just don't think about it until its time to study it :)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  9. chippy1722

chippy1722 New Member

Cheers everyone, the advice is very much appreciated and no doubt I will posting on here more regular now.