Best place to find a job in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by immoral giant, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That can’t be good. :blink

If you want to be busy, try and get a job where you sub-contracted IT support. I support over 40 networks and I am busy *all* the time. I’m still working now, not sure that is a good thing though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

Yeah well it isn't even paid either. At least it has spared time for me to get down the gym.

I am stuck in 2 minds on whether to hand my notice in ASAP or when I find a new job and have got passed the interview.

If I hand it in ASAP, I have 4 weeks of work to get a new job. I can live off my small savings for about 3/4 months. I have more money stashed away in ISA's and bonds but would rather not have to think about them until they are mature.

On the other hand if I wait, some companies won't like waiting 4 weeks, so I am a bit lost to what I should do.

Certifications: A+, N+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If a company likes you, they'll wait four weeks, especially if you tell them that you have to give notice. As an interviewer, that actually EARNS major points in my book, because it's the respectable, honorable thing for you to do. Look at it from the employer's point of view... they know that if they hire you, they're hiring someone who will complete a two-week or four-week notice so as to not leave their former department in a bad bind... so chances are good that when you leave the new company at some point in the future, you'll do the same for them. Integrity is worth waiting for.

Also, you can't gamble on getting a job before your savings run out. What happens if you don't get a job by then? I've heard horror stories of people taking MANY months, sometimes years, to get an IT job. Don't be a statistic; work there until you find a good job, give notice, and leave respectably... and without financial risk.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good words of wisdom MB, always a help. I think what we all should remember is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Nuff said but then again every man to he's or her own as a little is a enough for the wise:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell