Best place to find a job in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by immoral giant, Aug 28, 2007.

1. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

I have been working in IT for the last 2 years but am fed up of being treated badly working for the Government.

I have looked on Reed and CWJobs. I was just wondering if anyone else knew good places to look for jobs. There never appears to be anything in the local papers.

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Monster.co.uk and jobserve.co.uk are supposed to be good sites

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best place to find jobs is from other techs in the industry. They will often know when job opportunities are coming available, but are not yet listed anywhere.

Looking in the paper and on online job search sites are great... but EVERYONE looks there, so your competition for those jobs is likely to be fierce.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. immoral giant

Thanks for those. I haven't looked at jobserve before.

I don't anyone else in the industry personally. I know the guys that I work with but I shouldn't really be talking to them about new job oppurtunities.

5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

What country are you working in?:tongue

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. BosonMichael

Then get out there and meet them. :) There are often IT professional associations that have regular meetings where you can meet others in the industry.

For the record... you're meeting some of them this very minute. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Now theres a scary thought :tune

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. immoral giant

*RUNS AWAY SCARED* :biggrin

I work for the UK Government surprise surprise, treated so badly.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will keep an eye out, although I will leave it in my eye socket... :blink

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

How badly are you being treated? Just remember though that the private sector might even be more farce, yes I have worked most of my jobs in the private sector so can compare.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. netware

netware Bit Poster

Yep i know the feeling as well, i did work for a College and what a load of S*** that was i can tell you.
    i take it you are in the UK, if so try londonjobs.com i posted my CV there after leaving the college and my mobile was ringing 6-7 times a day it got to the stage i had to hide my CV from them. let them do the hard work and the jobs will come to you!!
    any problems PM me!:blink
    regards

Certifications: HND Computing & HNC Computing CompTIA A+
    WIP: Network + Server+ maybe Security+
  11. immoral giant

2 years and I still haven't been giving the domain administrator password. To me it is ridiculous. It is preventing me from doing my work quickly and efficiently. I have access to the servers (with keyboard and mouse) but I have to get one of the other 2 to put the administrator password in.

I have been doing work for one of the other workers because he is purely being lazy. I finished one of the jobs that he should of done, and he was asleep in his chair.

I need access to one of the shares on the network but only senior management have access to it as well as the 2 other technicians. All of senior management want me to have access but the head technician refuses to give me access. He is retiring around April so they told me to wait until he is gone. I don't find that acceptable.

The head technician has always been bad mouthing me to everyone. Unfortunately he spoke to one of the care takers that I am very good friends with who told me everything he said.

And last but not least, the pay is awful.

12. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I've made the transition from local government back to the private sector and it was the best move I made! I did it through www.jobsite.co.uk posted my CV and made it available to agencies to search etc. The next day I had a call for a job, that then progressed to a phone interview with the company, 2 weeks later I had the face to face interview and was offered the job - this was all within 3 weeks! Not a bad turnaround at all!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  13. immoral giant

I have no private sector experience which I think may stop some companies from going any further with me. I did a week work experience at a private company, not doing IT, but I actually enjoyed the environment I was in.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So much for security! :biggrin

Seriously though, they should delegate you the admin responsibilities you need to your domain account so you can do your job. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. BosonMichael

In truth, the domain admin password SHOULD be limited. But to be fair, in order for you to do your job, they should delegate rights to the specific tasks that you should be doing to your domain user account, like Sparky suggests.

Unfortunately, leaving a government job to go to the private sector won't solve your other problems. That sort of stuff goes on all the time in private industry as well, so don't think you'll be able to escape from all that mess. You honestly may have to go from company to company until you find one that's worth working for.

16. immoral giant

Well I can understand that there are going to be certain people I won't get a long with and that don't do their job. But the whole of senior management caved in just because he is retiring in 8 months. Stopping me from doing work that I have been asked to do.

I have also complained countless times for not having enough work to do. I don't like doing nothing.

I really want to do a job where I don't get an oppurtunity to sit down.

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are things going to change when this guy retires? If not then perhaps it is time to move on mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. immoral giant

Well when he leaves, it will be down to 2 of us rather than 3.

Sounds strange but there will be less work. Once he is out of the way a lot can happen without a certain someone getting in a mood and opposing any changes.

So I think if anything there will be less work. I have already had 3 days off this week and last as I had no work to do.

19. BosonMichael

But again, that sort of stuff happens in private companies too. Certainly you should consider leaving... just don't want you to paint yourself an overly rosy picture of work in the private sector. :)

20. immoral giant

No thats fine. I had a good week from my work experience but I have heard stories from parents and friends about working in private sector.

Even if it is the same job with same people, more money will keep me quiet for longer.