Best MCSE course provider

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by thewatchman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. thewatchman

thewatchman New Member

Hi all

I'm intending to do the MCSE qualification and after having trawled the net I can see that there are loads of course providers.

My intention is to study at home preferably either internet based or cd/books etc.

I'm not interested in a quick course which just teaches you enough to get through, but I'm after a comprehensive course.

I've looked at Blue Logic Training - www.bluelogicuk.co.uk
    and NCC - www.ncchomelearning.co.uk

Are these any good? Would anyone recomend a course provider.

I notice that the blue logic includes the exam fees and course for £1,299 which seems quite reasonable.

All help would be appreciated.

(Oh year the reason for doing the MCSE exams is just to get my foot in the door of a career in computers, I'm currently an accountant 36 years old, and have been using computers in general all my life).

Cheers

Pete

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With no professional IT experience I would advise against going straight for the MCSE, as this is a higher level professional cert (these types of certs should go hand in hand with you IT professional experience) and beside according to MS:

"MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems."

and for the MCSA:

"MCSA candidates should have 6–12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems."

To be honest I would go for the entry level certs first. This would include the A+, Network+, the MCDST, etc. If you just jump into the MCSE you will struggle, I'm sorry to say.

As for training providers, you can either buy the MS Press material yourself or buy CBT products like Learnkey and transcender. There are other CBT material out there like Syngress, CBTNuggets, etc, but in my opinion Learnkey and transcender are better (but that's personal pref).

Anyway hope this helps alittle.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. thewatchman

thewatchman New Member

Thanks Ken

I'll have a look at the entry level certs. I guess it would give me an indication of whether I'll enjoy it and be able to cope.

Thanks for your advice.

Pete

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I second Ken's excellent advice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!