Best certs to take for...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jodsclass, Oct 22, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hi Guys. I'm still in my dilhema at work. Should I saty or should I go. I thought I would use this opportunity to ask another question. Ideally I would like to become a Sys Admin or Network Admin, and this is the direction I want to take my career. The problem is I'm not sure how best to reach this goal. Which certs would put me in the best posistion for either of these roles. I have my IT degree under my belt, and I'm all but ready to take my A+ and Network+ exams.

Just curious if anyone can advise me based on experience, which cert set would be most suited to said roles, and which would give me the best fotting to start towards this career path.

As always your help is much appreciated.

TIA

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Aim for the MCSA after the A+ and Network+ as you can use them as a elective. :biggrin

Then perhaps the MCSE 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

MCDST... too many people including myself jump straight into MCSA/MCSE... mcdst is a gentle intro to ms exams trust me...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

^^ What they said :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. mr_rellik

mr_rellik New Member

Getting into the admin role you may also want to look at some of the other CompTIA exams. They can be good starts to your resume and good primers for some of the more in-depth exams like the MS ones. I personally would not look at A+ for an admin role because a lot of times there will be a help desk (med to larger companies) that will handle the PC repairs and the admins will focus on infrastructure. You may want to look at doing the Security+ as security is a big topic lately. If you are looking for more vendor specific stuff then I would agree that the MCSA/MCSE would be good goals to set.

Certifications: Security+
    WIP: CISSP, CISA, CEH