Being threatened with court and possible sue!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noelg24, May 21, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The job doesnt sound mis advertised at all to me
    your focusing on one line, which is totally relevant, they wanted you to have some AD exposure, it doesnt mean you will be designing there new AD, it means they wanted you to be familiar with what goes on in AD when troubleshooting tickets and using there custom systems to fix things

it says quite clearly you will be responding to tickets etc,

Again I can only hope your sense of decancy kicks in and you stick it out till the end

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Wow! What a thread! :ohmy

I have nothing constructive to add to it as I have never had any dealings with agencys. But Damn was it interesting reading! :rolleyes:

I have to say though that I concur with what Ryan has said.

Good luck to you in what ever you decide. 8)

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree with Ryan.... Stick out the current position for two weeks......... two weeks is nothing and even if your "bored" you have a commitment to the agency and more importantly the employer.....

I'd say its more important to form good relationships with companies you work for as who knows in years to come they may get back in touch with you and offer you a much better position - idependant of any agency. :)

The college will wait but if they dont, pick yourself up and move on. It's your first contract position so learn from it and dont make the same mistakes again.

I hope it works out mate 8)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, looks like I'm in a minority of one here!

Never mind, thats what opinions are all about - some people have one opinion, other people's viewpoints might be diametrically opposed (and that certainly seems to be the case here!)

Good luck to you in whatever you decide - hopefully you'll make the correct decision and, whatever it is, it won't come back to bite you on the arse later :p

I will say that, despite not agreeing with a lot of the points raised by Ryan, everything he says about your reputation with agencies is 100% true. Word does get around (though, unsurprisingly, not, it seems, between recruitment agencies about recruitment staff as I've had the misfortune of dealing with the same tool at three different agencies in the past two and a half years)

Good luck!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well its all been sorted...the college want me to start this week and I start tomorrow at 9am...the other agency didnt even bother contacting me...(shows how much they really cared). And the agency who offered me the college job confirmed this morning that they have no right in throwin legal stuff and they only did that to scare me and to make me say I will stay in the job...and it is ok for me to walk out on a job if I feel its not what I had expected or I am not happy about it and as spuag33k says it could just be an over zealous agency staff who will lose out on commission...but at the end of the day I am looking out for number which my new agency told me to do...

So there you go...proof that even in the harshest of circumstances you can still come out on top and smile and just carry on with life...had the other agency not get in touch with me about the college job I probably would have stayed the full length of the contract and then look for something else...but the opportunity came and I wasnt going to miss it...

But thank you all...this has been one interesting thread as SGUK put it :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Another thing to bear in mind is that by telling the agents about the other job and who it's for you've given them a business lead to follow up.

Agents always always ask who else you're interviewing for and try the very best they can to get names out of you so they can go and poach the client off whichever other agent is dealing with them.

It makes perfet sense that they are trying to fill the role with one of their contractors.

I'd maintain as professional a composure as possible, stay in constant contact with the college - even warn them that you inadvertantly gave their name out to an agent and apologise for any unwanted sales calls they may be recieving.

Tell them how much you want the job and explain the importance of adhering to legally binding contracts - after all you are a professional aren't you.

Don't let emotions get in the way and make you do something you regret. 2 weeks isn't long so just keep in contact with them and do whatever you can to secure the role for as soon as your current contract expires.

Don't tell any more agents about who you're interviewing with! They'll screw you over if it means a business lead for them.

They even ask who your current boss is sometimes so they can spam them with calls trying to fill your role - not good if the boss doesn't even know there's a role that will soon need filling.....

Agents really don't care - they'll do anything to get the sale (commission).

Don't burn your bridges though - ever.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

quoted for truth 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Glad everything worked out mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Glad it worked out mate, but my original posts still stand, and you may still get a letter in the post from their lawyer

this stuff might fly at this point in your career, but if you were responsible for say, rolling out 1000 new pcs to a client, and walked out thats a lot of time and investment they have lost out on and then they may very well take appropriate action to minimize thier loses

Zeb mate, dont get me wrong I completely agree with what you say about companies and agencies, I dont however think that gives me the right to do the same, i'd be as bad as them and wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and if your both in the wrong it can all come down to who has the best paid lawyers!

Noel, hope you do get lucky and nothing comes of this, don't make a habit of it though, one day it WILL bite you in the ass, and your previous lucky escapes may well come to bear in any future action

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I hear ya mate...no worries...its not like I was planning on making a habit of it its just I wanted to be in an environment where I was comfortable...and this is it...

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I do agree that its unprofessional to just drop the job and leave.

but....

I think you will find that you CANNOT be forced to waive your ability to terminate your contract. As far as Im aware you are legally entitled to terminate a contract at ANY time, although they are entitled to include within the contract that you must give X notice of a termination. So if the contract specifically states that you cant terminate the contract, then I do believe it would be the AGENCY that would be hammered for it.

It doesnt matter that you signed the thing or not. Its like your basic Human rights. no contract on earth can make you waive those rights, and the same is true of your ability to quit.

Infact, I was under the impression that is was a basic fact of contract work that both you and the employer were able to terminate the contract on a moments notice. But i could be wrong on that.

If nothing else, the agency also have to consider their image. If they take you to court for it, then you involve the media, and it gives them a bad image. Even if they were to win, it would damage their reputation.

All that said, I personally would explain to the new job that you have a further two weeks on your existing contract that you need to finish. It will enhance your professionalism in their eyes if you show that you are dedicated to completing a contract.

I must say though, that I gave my previous employer 3 working days notice that I was leaving to come to my current job. I didnt particularly want to, and would rather have given 2 weeks notice, but I explained to my manager the situation, and that this job wouldnt wait the two weeks. To be fair though, I had two things on my side. When they took me on as staff, I made it clear to them that I was looking for IT work, but would happily work for them until that time. And secondly I had signed nothing! nada! so technically I wasnt bound by any contract demanding a notice period.

At the end of the day its your call. Make your choice and prepare to deal with whatever consequences arise from that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

Not being funny, but what did you expect for first line support?

What you described to me sounds exactly like I would expect for a first line role - anything to do with faulty desktops, servers or backups would be escalated to the relevant teams from those who man the first line phones.

Granted I can see how you might feel a bit confused after initially being asked lots of technical questions, but the job is pretty much what i'm doing now and I had no illusions that I would initially be doing anything other than that in a first line position.

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Uh-oh Noel - your agency has discovered the forum...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear it all worked out for you Noel, a lesson we can all learn from. Best wishes:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

lol not at all :)

Just feel it might be a case of unreasonable expectations, that's all.

16. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I wish my 1st liners were as hungry for knowledge as some of you guys.

I make it a rule that I will never have to have something explained to me more than 3 times (at worst).

These guys just don't seem to care - and when I explain something to them so they can 'do it themselves next time' they give me the Tony Blair doing Comic Relief treatment...

Bovvered?

If it was my gig I'd recruit from here -

Now there's an idea....

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Think JonnyMX already beat you to it, Pete !! Free drinks at the Nags Head :biggrin :alc

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

A lot of great opinions here. Congrads on the new job Noel.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

No disrepect here but my last IT job i was doing 1st line support and it was more hands-on than this one was...I helped out with the 2nd line lot aswell...the staff there wanted me to learn more things and i was keen to learn more...they wanted me to learn about the servers, to check on back ups, to create users in AD, to do things that the 2nd line couldnt do cos they were already stacked up with work...so yeah I did expect a lot from this job too...cos my last job was more than I expected but I coped...there were even times where I was holding the fort for the entire 1st line helpdesk staff (and there were 4 of us workin in 1st line)...so its not a case of I couldnt be trusted...it was a case of they saw my potential and gave me the opportunity to show them what I can do...and I did...this job didnt have that...but all is good as I start my new job and go on to better things now...

20. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Glad to hear it is all sorted mate - all the best in the new role!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff