Beginnerclass?????

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Fergal1982, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok guys, I recently picked up a copy of 4D, a database program (see my review of it for more info) free with PCPRO. its a slightly outdated version, but for the sake of learning its fine (and free). Im pretty sure its SQL (though i may very well be wrong) but i was thinking that it could well be great if we could rope in... AHEM... I mean convince someone who is around here and knows SQL fairly well to perhaps either do some online classes type things, or even to post some tutorials for people like me who want to learn a little SQL.

Any Ideas?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if you want an industry standard SQL server to learn on I recommend MySQL as its FOSS, so no cost to you, and has numerous ports for windows, as well as a plethora of online resources
    never heard of this 4D, but youd be best playing around with something industry renowned

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Fergal1982

Ok. assuming i go for mySQL, where is the best place to pick up the database creation program? i had a look at the main website, but to be honest i got a bit confused. all i really need (for the time being) is the ability to create a database for use on a single pc (with the ability to import and export i spose) as opposed to having a server and clients.

Any ideas?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Sorry, thought you were actually looking to learn it :)
    in which case MySQL or a dev copy of MS SQL 2000 are the way to go, they are client/server architecture, but nothing stops you creating databases and accessing them from the same pc, MySQL is very commandline orientated, but there are numerous GUIs out there, including webbased ones, but thats another layer to add, you may want to try a trial of MS SQL? this is going to teach you SQL (the industry standard) not just 'using a database' for that you could use MS Access or the like :)

5. Fergal1982

thats kinda what id like. i want to build and customize a database to my needs. so i may as well attempt to learn how to build them as i go!

Fergal

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well learning the big boy programs is going to be your best option i think, as it puts you in a good position if its ever a job requirement, SQL is the industry standard and comesi n many flavors (the underlying language/structure being the same) so your best bet is to pick up a book on that, MySQL i suggested as its free, so cant get much better than that, it isnt however as easy as MS SQL (ofcourse thats beast unto itself

7. Fergal1982

Ok, lets assume I want to use mysql to develop and build a database that (for now at least) i want to run as a standalone program on a single PC (no servers, etc) which program should i download????? i was on the mysql website looking for said program, but in the developers section there are a heap of different programs and i have NO idea which one to take!!!!

Fergal

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'd go here

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html

then pick the Max version on the O/S of your choice, this is ver 4.1 which appears to be the latest stable release. 5 is there to be downloaded but it's in Alpha yet.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. Fergal1982

ok. now, having downloaded and in the process of installing it..... can you guys reccommend a good book to learn it on????

Fergal

10. Fergal1982

Dammit. where in the name of the gods is the actual program? too many folders with obscure names and i have no idea which to go to to run the damn program!!!!!!!!

GRRRRR

Fergal

11. Gbolahan

Gbolahan New Member

:D SQL Exams is my mission