beginner

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Mof, May 15, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

delphi is another programming language although in my opinion isn't as functional as C++

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Delphi is Object Pascal, it was probably way ahead of its time and was largely created by a russian genius I believe, .Net C# probably spells the death knell for Delphi and many other languages.

Mathematix is right in that you should consider the idea of Domain Specific Languages, what you want to do should affect the langauge/s you learn, of course if you have enough time you can eventually learn many.

Originally you didn't specify any criteria so I suggested C.

Web languages are things like PHP,Java/JSP,.Net/ASP,Ruby/Rails.

Not sure what you mean by office, but if you mean MS Office automation you are looking at C++,VB or any .Net CLR compatible language.

So given these assumptions C# .Net/ASP could be a good choice.

3. mark_uol

mark_uol Bit Poster

You could begin with experiments in VBA by using MS Excel. Try recording some of your actions as macros and viewing the results. Reading and understanding code is an important first step. Next try some IF and Select Case statements. You will probably see a select case statement in the macro that you have recorded. Once you are able to print the screen using a message box or the command screen you will feel in control and the rest will follow.

Certifications: MSc IT Security UoL
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

/me jumps up and down and cheers:p

I agree with this 100%. Many of the best programmers I have met understand quite a lot of what goes on under the hood, because this enables them to fine tune their routines.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I do see what you mean, Meyers would draw comparison to a racing driver having to know how it works under the bonnet to be a good Driver and i do agree.

going to pop over to hardware forum now having problem ghosting a hard drive, never rains when it pours.

WIP: C++ and A+
  6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

WIP: C++ and A+
  7. greenbrucelee

conio.h my friend god I hate programming.

You must have patience to be a programmer I have some but not enough.

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I always found the subject really dull unless I was programming for a purpose, ie to create something - but definitely not enough patience.

.... that said, I may try again one day! :p

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. greenbrucelee

me too although I wont be trying again.

10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

How can you program without 'creating something'? :blink :biggrin

Programming is quite an intense activity when you take on a challenging project. Give it a go - it's fun!

You too, GBL. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. greenbrucelee

It didn't matter how many times I tried or was shown I just couldn't take it in. I am someone who can learn if it really interested me and unfortunately programming didn't/doesn't sorry.

It imo was all about being very structured and completly methodical there was no work arounds which annoyed me slightly. Thats probably why it didn't interest me.

12. Mathematix

Programming's not for everyone. :)

Yep, it is very structured, but there are usually many ways to solve a particular problem. That's where the 'freedom' comes in in selecting the best way to solve a problem.

Our IT guy at work never was into programming, but now he sees us doing it he has taken up Python and I think a bit of Java. He feels free to come over and ask us for hints and tips whenever he gets a little stuck. He has been doing this now for about three months solid, and his knowledge and skill have made a marked improvement. Even the way he reasons about situations has slightly changed; before he used to conclude on a matter in a whim, now he talks himslef through things to us and more logically comes to a conclusion. I actually don't think he has realised yet, though. :biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

I'm one of them, BASIC and HTML thats about my limit :p

That sounds cool :D, C++ pissed me of then there was ASP and that made me want to kill people especially the bloody prof who taught it because he looked like a tramp and smelled :p and he never had anything useful to say.

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Very true - I suppose what I mean is that I create something that interests me, something I'd find "useful" or at least has a purpose - coding to complete a project for my degree just wasn't enough inspiration :p

As I said, when I get a bit of free time, I'll probably start having a look again - assuming I don't find a job before then has a requirement for scripting/programming!

15. Mathematix

Typing on forums is free time to burn! Get to some programming... :p :biggrin

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You say that like we can just abandon the forums whenever we wish. :rolleyes: Dude, it's not that easy. Once in, you're in for life.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Mathematix

Me -> :eek: :unsure
    Certforums -> :deal

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

An offer you can't refuse. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

hehe - it takes less thought.... thats why I end up waffling a lot :biggrin

20. Mathematix

Heh, guys! :biggrin