Been away for a little bit....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Theprof, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Starting mid last week up until today was pretty hectic for me. I don't know if I mentioned this before but one of the network administrators quit a few weeks back and I pretty much inherited most of his tasks such as wsus, ftp server, pda configs, BES, etc. I've been trying to learn as much as possible in the last few weeks.

It is definitely not an easy job for a beginner such as my self. Although I did some studying in terms of networking how everything works, there's no way that is enough to do a networking job. I need experience and to be honest at times it makes you feel disappointed because there are certain tasks you can't just do without having that experience. With that said I've managed to grasp a lot of things fairly quickly. To my boss's surprise, which is great in my books:biggrin. On Friday I was left by my self because the Senior Network admin had to attend an urgent matter and could not be present that day. Boy was I nervous the whole day praying that nothing goes wrong with exchange, or AD, etc. Thank God that those were okay or else I would not even know where to start troubleshooting.:rolleyes: I did a few network tweaks or even updates and the general desktop support stuff plus trying to learn the rest of stuff I was given. At the end of the day my boss wrote me an email saying that I did a great job and that he is impressed that I was capable of taking care of a company of 400+.

I am really looking forward to learning many more things and the funny thing is, I realized that the more you study and think you know, the more you realize that there's much more you don't know. All you can do is take one step at a time and do your best because at the end I think that's what counts.

I find that in these types of situations you are put under some great deal of stress at times and it's really not easy, just stick through it and that's how you would build experience.

I guess rant is over back to work again tomorrow.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly right, Prof. One can't begin to understand why experience is so necessary until they are put in that situation, right? Great testimony, mate! You're climbing the ladder!!! :)

+Rep.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Very true...
    I find it's the inexperienced ones that think they know it all and are ready for the world. It's the experienced ones that know they've just tipped the iceberg and there's always more to know...

Congrats on the boss' praise :cheers

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome back

Sounds like your climbing the ladder and the bosses are impressed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The difference between inexperience and experience is an inexperienced tech can maintain a working infrastructure, an experienced tech can maintain a non working infrastructure, unfortunately a dynamic working infrastructure requires very little hand holding when things are going well, which keeps those inexperienced techs off the radar till its too late! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys. I am trying to move up as I go along, even though it's not easy I have to get it done.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like you are learning loads at work mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs