Becoming Microsoft OEM System Builder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jakamoko, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has already, or has looked into becoming a Microsoft OEM System Builder - basically you can sign up to a MS Partnership program if you are building sytems commercially and take advantage of OEM software, support etc. Not sure of the ins and outs of this, and more importantly, any gotchas involved, but I would be really interested in anyones opinions and/or experiences of this.

For more see here (to view the specific info, you need a .NET passport and have to enrol) but you can get the general idea from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

Thanks in advance. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Certainly seems straight forward enough.

As I'm already registered as a MS partner then I may have to update my profile and take a better look, but the difference in costs of OEM to retail could really make me think more about it.

Will have a closer look when I've time at work tomorrow. 8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not to me Simon.

From what I have read, you firstly need to be a Gold or Certified partner which both cost a lot of money. (I am a registered partner which is free). And you need to have sold at least 50 computers which you have pre loaded XP onto in the previous year or 5 Server products in the past year. And you need to have passed an XP related MCP exam (which I haven't) :blink

To me it sucks.

I am going to do a Freddy and churn to Linux :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I said I was going to look into it more tomorrow! :p

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know Simon, please do and let me know if I have misconstrued something :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I really think there are a few advantages in "churning" to Linux. The competition at the user level is not very tight. In my area there is no one that is even advertising that they work on Linux systems. I've asked at the local computer shops and no one admits to knowing anything about it. It's a wide open market.

In Spokane, an area of around a million people within the a 20 mile radius of the town, there are only about a half dozen businesses even advertising that they work on Linux systems, and they aren't doing much with it. They push it very little.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I get a Microsoft Action Pack.
    There's loads of stuff in there for system builders with quaterly updates. I've just had the last one which included SQL Server 2005, CRM 3.0 and Visual Studio 2005. It might be worth looking into, it costs about £200 p.a.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Gold and Certified partner status costs £1000 pa i believe
    didnt they move the OEM system builder to become just another competancy? used to be a unique program but they seem to of converged them all now

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm eagerly awaiting my quarterly update........really looking forward to SQL 2005.

On a related note, did anyone else get a copy of XP Pro 64 bit in their last update with TEN cal's? Wasn't that a bit overkill? I'm not even using 64 bit. Yo, M$, how about sending me more XP Pro REGULAR cal's......you know, something I can actually USE!!!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so I had a bit more of a look at this, and Phoenix is right it is now just another competency so it doesn't cost you anything.

What they do want from you though are Two MCP ID's and 3 references from your customers.

So as an individual you wouldn't be able to sign up.

8)

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks for all the input, Guys - very much appreciated. I have had little spare time since I posted, but will look further this weekend.

You would be surprised at how close I am to this - one more reference and I'm there.

Cheers again Guys :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity