Becoming a Webmaster

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by BrotherBill, Sep 12, 2007.

1. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Are you a webmaster?
    Do you think that's all there is to it?

I found an interesting article at ClickFire of a webmasters self discovery, and what it takes to be an Internet Webmaster. An observation offered by Emory Rowland of the skills and responsibilities necessary to administer today's websites. Emory defines a webmaster's role and reflects upon his own experiences and revelations on his journey to becoming an Internet Webmaster.

Becoming a Webmaster

Any thoughts?

2. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

From all the jobs i have applied for and the advice i have received over the last 12 months, there's alot more to being a webmaster then just knowing X/HTML.
    To be honest i didn't read the article you provided, but i reckon i have a good idea of what being a web designer/webmaster entails. ALOT!!!

The first thing you must learn is the three layers of the web:
    1. X/HTML = meaning/content
    2. CSS = presentation
    3. Javascript = Behavior

Without these key coding skills, you wont make it as a web designer. These are just the basics of web design and will most probably take months to learn. I am have been at it for over a year now and i still cant say i'm an expert in any of them.
    But i have been concentrating on flash/Actionscript, which is another part of being a webmaster. Then there's fireworks, adobe photoshop( a must ), dreamweaver, illustrator and probably a little PHP and mySQL. The list can be endless and knowing just the basics of these applications and codes might just see you through.But my advice will be to learn the three layers of the web and take it from there.

Nelly

Certifications: CIW Professional
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The article reads a bit like propoganda, but it does accurately identify that 'webmaster' can mean anything.

From my experience it tends to be a contact point for people with problems or queries (more often business opportunities) connected with a site, and as is rightly stated appears on dodgy sites more often than not.

I administer a number of sites, but I would never refer to myself as webmaster - it's got a bit of an 80s ring to it.

Nowadays you would be a 'primary technical contact' or something - and a professional corporate site would direct all problems and queries to the customer services department at the relevant company, not to the 'webmaster'.

God, I hate the term...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD