BCS Membership

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, May 6, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Last night I decided to join the BCS, being a Part Time Student I'm eligable for Student Membership. As it was only £20 Ithought I'd see what it was all about, plus next time I fill out an applictaion form that asks "are you a member of any professional body?" I can say "Yes!"

How many others here are BCS members, what level of membership do you have, and what (if any) are the advantages of membership, or even say going from Associate Member to Member?

:blink

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not sure what it means simon.. but what i did find is that any IT related degree more or less makes you a member! :blink maybe its just one those 'perks' in being in IT? :biggrin We have something formal to call ourselves!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I'm a full member of the BCS so i guess i'm allowed to put "MBCS" somewhere on my CV?? But i dont include it! :)

I joined the BCS about 18 months ago when i was looking for something to put on my CV to show commitment to IT. As i've got over 5 years experience i qualified as a full member. I think its £80 per year....

I know include it on my CV to show that i'm committed to a career in IT (yada yada!). I'm also a member of the Chartered Management Institutue as i'm on a management course so it can only help.

I get a free newsletter thing every quarter and you get discounts on books and gets informed of local branch meetings etc but to be honest i've never really made use of any of it!

To be frank i'm only a member so i can show it on my CV, anything to stand yourself apart! :twisted:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm a member.

Not sure why..

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Si,

Let us know what you get for membership.... I am a Comptia member (notice the recent sig :tune) and there are some great utilities such as technical pointers, forum, job help, vouchers.....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

What are the benifits of being a CompTIA member then Boyce??

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi there

Good to hear that you have decided to apply for membership of the British Computer Society.

I am a Member of the BCS. What it gives you is difficult to say! What it means is that you have signed up to a professional Engineering Institue and are bound by their code of conduct. You do get to meet a hugh cross section of Computer/IT people. The networking is great, I mean people networking not IP networking, and you hear a lot about what is going on in the R&D side of things.

Personally, I would say that it is a good move. IT/Computing has a major impact on the business life of the UK and that we should support the professional body of our industry.

8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Thoughts, Boycey?

J. :blink

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that was one of the reasons for signing up - It shows that you have a willingness to be professional in your conduct, and that you care about your line of work.

I was eligable for the full membership, but as its £80 I opted against that for now until I can get more of a feeling as to whether it is worth it for me (besides, £80 is £80! Whereas £20 is £20!).

One of my hopes for the IT industry is that as it matures it will be become more regulated, i.e. there is a code of conduct, and that it is controlled by a professional body, much the same way that Medicine in this country is regullated by the BMA.

By me joining the BCS I hope that people will realise that I am a professional, and deserve to be treated as such. (not just a skivvy who fixes computers! :dry ).

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats something i keep stressing the people at work and to my boss.. People think im just a geek who know the insides and outsides of any eletrical.. they dont realise like doctors i can specialize in an area. We both professional but because i get very dirty working they disagree...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh dear, oh dear...

:toilet

:lolbang

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

cough, oh....

Career building advice, forum, discounted exams, monthly news letter and to be part of Comptia's gang. $59 for a year or $99 for two years.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I doubt if IT in general will ever even come close to medical regulation bodies such as the BMA. I think it's easy to see why really, one of the bodies regulates a group of professionals who make life and death decisions on a regular basis, the other doesn't, not even close. :)

Certainly there are IT profeesionals who work in sensitive and highly responsible environments. In some senses though the type of staff who work in these situations are regulated by the company / body they work for via good working practices, company policies etc.. At the end of the day, people aren't going to hire somone in a senior position with lots of responsibility unless they have already got a proven track record, lots of experience etc.. so in that sense, you could call it self regulating.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

The Tax Man gives you the £80 back! Just let them know and the sort it in your Coding :D

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

He never told me that!
    The evil bu99er!

How do you swing that then?

16. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Just ring them up and talk to them - they get it sorted for you.

17. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Got a flyer about the BCS with my cert for passing ITIL (wahey - got to change my profile at last!!) - do you need to be seconded/recommended by pre-existing members? Think i'll go for it if it's straight forward and see if i can bill it to work :tune

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  18. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

No! I had a boss and an ex colleague do my referances. As long as they know your work.:rolleyes:

19. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Cool, might sign up for then alright and see how it goes for a year.

Thanks Sandy

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design