BCS and ITIL

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by supernova, Mar 13, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I am thinking of joining the BCS and working my way through ITIL.

I dont know what the process is in joining the BCS, one problem is although i have been working in IT on and off for 15 years it has mainly been in a self employed capacity.

Have many of you done ITIL whilst doing other certs or do you recommend leaving it until you have more free time?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

ITIL without a shadow of a doubt.

Many company's ask for this on your CV. Is it interesting, no, is it required, yes!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. supernova

Thanks craigie

How intense is the ITIL is it something you can study along side other certs.

4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

It is 1/5th the size of the Microsoft mcp course books, if you can believe the page counts on amazon.com.

5. supernova

Interesting

Although I would rather do something in the realms of general customer service first
    I wonder if I could self study and fast track a S/NVQ or something

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I self-studied the ITIL fdn v3 in a week, there are 3 day courses available. It is very boring, with interesting bits in. You can join the BCS and move up to the higher levels of ITIL, however it doesn't have to be from the ISEB. You can join the higher level ITIL courses with the ITIL v3 fdn from EXIN, which is cheaper.

Me personally, I studied it inbetween other exam due to the fact that it is boring, but that's just me :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am of the general (personal) opinion that general customer service is a matter of common sense.

I don't think an NVQ in such a thing would stand you in great stead TBH, and may be a waste of your time.

Whilst the ITIL content is quite dry, it does take the basic common-sense concepts of customer service, and roll them up into a framework that you really can implement in the workplace.

As Craigie has already said, ITIL is becoming a steadily desirable certification to have. Without a shadow of a doubt, I would take ITIL over any NVQ in service, any day of the week.

Customer service is one of the few things I'll happily yap about here on CF with a modicum of confidence. You can check out my article "Customer Service on an IT Helpdesk" for my slant on it, if you like :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. supernova

Thanks i have downloaded your document to read later.