Basic Network design queries???

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Steven, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Hi

Could anyone please give advice on the following:

A medium size business LAN is split into 4 subnetworks and each subnet has 2 dedicated servers. All 8 dedicated servers within the 4 subnets are kept in the same room. The business requires for security requires that the management and employees within the LAN have different access levels.

So, my question is this, in a windows environment using domain based access, would each subnet require its own dedicated domain controller? or could I have one dedicated domain controller amongst the 8 servers??

If each subnet needs its own domain controller does this mean there would have to be 8 domains in total for the 4 networks??

Can the eight servers be linked even though they're on different subnets?

Also, if using DHCP, for each subnet would I have to have one dedicated server per subnet or could I have one dedicated server on the LAN than could be used by all subnets??

Confused here any help appreciated

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As far as I understand it (now I am still learning so I could be wrong) every server will need a domain controller as each one will need it's own authentication to be on the network.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

no you dont need seperate domain controllers for each subnet, you just need a way to route traffic across the subnets i.e a router. Access permissions can be handled using group policy if you are just talking about standard file shares etc.

You can also use 1 dhcp server to service all the subnets as long as the router that is between them supports bootp / can act as a relay agent.

Finally you probably want two domain controllers as if you only have one and it goes pear shaped then you are in a rather large pickle.

Hope that helps

Jiggy

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ah right I see thanks for correcting me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Damn I wish Teh Interwebz had been around when I was young enough to get homework assignments...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

First of all, it will probably be one domain as long as all the subnets can talk to each other (router, VLAN or whatever).

Ask your teacher for more info here. Access to what? Company data? a printer? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Thanks for the help

Would it be right in saying then that it is possible to have all dedicated servers for the LAN on one subnet if the interconnecting router had 4 interfaces each with one subnet?

8. Sparky

No reason why not, just looking at the question as long as the subnets can talk to each other then the servers could be in one subnet if you wanted.

The PCs could be other subnets to split them up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Just read your post Sparky

the two groups just need seperating on the network for security purposes.....

10. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Sparky

you can read text book after text book thoroughly but there are grey areas as you'd agree so the forum provides a means of support from you experts helping me understand

cheers mate

11. Sparky

No probs.... 8)

12. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

All uni/college assignments sound the same nowa days. Really what they should do is actually tell them to design then make it!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

you only *need* one domain controller.

However, it's good practise to have more than one, so it can replicate the Active Directory database.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)