Bad time to move during credit crunch

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by thetokyoproject, Nov 29, 2008.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

is it a bad time to move onto another company during the financial crisis for a fresh challenge even though your current position is very secure?

what are your thoughts? i'm thinking about taking the plunge.

Certifications: 271
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Has another company made you an offer?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Is there a probationary period with the new job ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably no such thing these days even before the credit crunch kicked it.

If the new job looks good then go for it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'm with sparky on this no job is safe these days, also it will depend on your circumstances, if like me the pay cheque doesn't match up then you have no choice. But whilst I think maybe a little more chooseyness is required when accepting a job offer, I won't be too worried about moving on.
    As I've said before companies are prone to failure or boom at anytime.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

not started looking for a job yet, but need to progress more into network admin side of support.
    also, considerably underpaid according to market rates for my position.

guess will have to start applying to see what kind of response is out there in terms of salary and positions available.

many thanks for your help.

Certifications: 271
  7. Sparky

Thats IT for you mate, everyone is underpaid :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Gone are the days where IT was seen as paying the six figure sums:) and rightly so too as some people in IT are overpaid and haven't got a clue what they're doing.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You mentioned that you want to progress into Network Admin, as you are not very well paid. My questions would be what do you do now and for how long?

What credentials do you have to do Network Admin already?, and what do you think you need?

As this would be my main focus to ensure that any 'skill gap' is plugged otherwise you will probably get lots of rejections.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Sparky

Even though I said IT is underpaid you can still get a six figure sum if you are technically sound and also know the right people. 8)

11. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

It depends if you feel you really need to move on during a credit crunch?
    My last IT employer is taking on people but only as IT in the NHS is quiet safe.
    If it was me i would stay put & see how things pan out over 2009.

Since coming out of IT in 2007 job stability is the one thing that keeps me with my current employer.
    Money OK, hours all right & job security is 100%.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+