Backup question

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 2, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The optimum solution would be to get a new hard drive, install the OS on the new drive, and keep the old one just in case. Transfer the relevant data from the old drive to the new drive, and when you no longer need the old drive, wipe it and use it for a backup storage source.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what I was planning to do was to backup the stuff I want to keep onto my external drive, wipe my C: drive then install from scratch.

Is the windows backup utility reliable?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael

I don't use it... I simply format a drive and copy my important data over by selecting-and-dragging from window to window.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee

So if I just drag the programs I want to keep to the external drive, format the c: drive then drag back it should be ok, or is that too simple.

6. BosonMichael

No, not the programs... just any important data. You ALWAYS need to reinstall programs after a wipe and reinstall.

7. greenbrucelee

So can I copy the saved data of these programs to my external drive, then wipe my main drive, reinstall then move the saved data back to the relevant places?

8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't drag the programs over, just the data -- remember that the install routine alters the registry, so you'd have to reinstall the applications for proper setup. Every year or so I wipe it and start over -- and I drag my data, my bookmarks, and mail (MozBackup!) to the external or network drive. Then, DBAN it. Not necessary, but its a great tool to use prior to a reinstall. You could just FDISK/format it too, during installation, to save time.

Sparky's right, the upgrade isn't that big of a deal, but my personal preference is a wipe.

EDIT: BM beat me to it!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  9. BosonMichael

By saved data, I mean things like My Documents, e-mail .PST files, the contents of save game directories, picture and music directories, that sort of thing... not any other program-related data. It's really quite a surgical process for each thing you want to save.

10. greenbrucelee

what I want to keep are .doc files, game saves, my pictures, my documents, my videos

11. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Same here - its the easiest solution. I would also recommend a reformat and a clean install of the new OS. We all know that windows can fill up with crap over time and there are peeps out there who religiously re-install windows every 6 to 12 months to keep their system clean (not me though - too damn lazy). I think installing a new OS is an opportunity to clean the system up and start afresh, although that's just my opinion :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  12. greenbrucelee

I would actually like to start doing this, so it clears up any registry related issues and filters out any crap.

13. TimoftheC

Oh, and a quick tip for ya GBL - if you do reformat the hard drive create a small partition of say 20 meg or so and format it. Then, the next time you have to reinstall an OS you have somewhere to save all the stuff you wana keep in a nice handy place - saves messing around with external HDDs or plugging in internal slaves.

That's if you have the room on your hard drive of course :D

14. greenbrucelee

cheers for the tip :thumbleft

15. TimoftheC

That's ok GBL but I did actauly mean to type 20gig and not 20meg :oops: Wouldn't get a great deal on to 20meg partition :biggrin

Was rushing to get out of work when I typed that :)

16. greenbrucelee

I know what you meant, I wish I was getting out of work I have another 6 hours 45 mins to go. :(

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you dont mind reinstalling all your software then a rebuild is the best option, however if you just want to uprade to pro and keep everything as it is then just run the upgrade.

The choice is yours! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. greenbrucelee

I dont mind doing a full install, actually I want to do a full install. I just dont want to loose all my documents, pictures, videos and game saves.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cool, the only issue you *might* have is with the saved games. I take it you just have to drag and drop the files into the correct directory.

How is your PC running just now?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. BosonMichael

That'll do it, then... just drag each file or directory you want to save to your spare drive.

The reason I mentioned the new drive in the first place is this: if you had a new drive, you could just keep your old drive to ensure that there's NO chance you'll forget anything. If you do, you've still got the old drive that has everything on it. That said, if you can't afford a new drive, then the external drive copy (select-and-drag) will have to do. :)