Backing UP IIS Metabase

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Luddym, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys, just trying to fill in some gaps (and there are still lots :-) ) before my 290 Exam on Monday.

One thing that I'm not quite sure on is backing up the Metabase on IIS. I know that you can back up the metabase in IIS Services manager, but that this basically just backs it up here so that you can rollback if you want to.

Is there any way of selecting this to be backed up using NTBACKUP?

Thanks in advances chaps and chapesses :-)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

daily metabase backups are not needed. the metabase basically consists of the iis configuration settings. and unless you change them regularly, there is no need to backup regularly.

still, if you can't resist that drp urge, here's how: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302888

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Yes there is, you can back up the IIS metabase thru the NTBackup the System State option found in Ntbackup.exe.

Click here for the full page from Microsoft.

If you wish to only back up the IIS metabase, like d-Factor suggests, but don't like VBS (to automate it automatically, as VBS is a scripting language based on VB), click here for the GUI way.

Good luck on your exam on Monday.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security