Backing up boot sector in XP ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flamehearted, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Is there a way to do this ?

Also does fdisk work in 2000/xp ? Could you use the fdisk/mbr command to repair the sector ?

Thanks !

Martin :hug

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you can use the recovery console command 'fixmbr'

dunno if fdisk works, dont partition much in windows anymore :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Fdisk only works in 9x operating systems

for 200/XP its disk partition from command prompt (diskpart) or the disk management console in computer management in administrative tools in tne operating system.

recovery console only avail in xp pro not home

hope this info is some help

Pie

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

the mbr is backed up by default in 2k/xp (or at the very least in xp), its that section in the middle of the drive that shows up as immovable when you try to defrag the drive!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I'm possibly wrong here, but I always thought that the mbr was the first sector of the drive (Cylinder 0, Head 0, Sector 1)? Also the immovable part in a defrag is the pagefile? Doesn't make sense to have a mbr in the middle of a drive?

Boot files will be backed up as part of the System State Backup in 2000/XP, but NT4 is different as it hasn't got the same backup utility.

Fdisk will work on a NTFS drive but in a limited fashion. Fdisk will allow you to activate a NTFS partition and also let you delete a non-dos partition...Fat lot of use! But I once marked the incorrect partition as active on an NT4 computer via the GUI, after I did this the PC came up with Missing NTLDR on boot-up, silly me! I had to use FDISK to reactivate the correct partition.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

7. Fergal1982

you're half right drum, the mbr is indeed held in the first sector of the drive, but because its so important (the drive is screwed without it), windows automatically backs it up by copying the data to the middle of the drive. this means that the user doesnt have to manually back it up on a regular basis, and if things go arse up, then they can simply copy the backup back to the correct location and they have a functional system again!

As for the page file, i honestly couldnt tell you where it is held, it could be held in the same area as the backup, but i couldnt say for definate

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Fergal1982

ah wait...... i stand corrected, after posting i went and double checked that, and found that its actually the Master File Table (MFT) which is backed up in the centre of the disk (or at least the most important portions of the MFT), *not* the MBR.

oops:oops:

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Also, the page file is movable, as it's possible (and often useful) to move it off the system partition altogether, eg onto a partition on a second HDD. This can give performance increase, but I'm bushed right now and a b0ll0xed if I can remember the actual explanation at the mo :oops:

However, try it - it works :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. drum_dude

Yes Gav, but the pagefile cannot be moved by the defrag program...therefore it is immovable during the defrag, especially since part of the defrag program may indeed lie in the pagefile (virtual memory) untill a page fault calls it up...suppose it depends on how much RAM you have. After the event, however, you can put it anywhere you like!

I think norton colour codes the area as "Pagefile", but I don't think the M$ one does...not to sure??

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good point well made, Sacha - thanks for clarifying :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. drum_dude

Cheers Gav...

Apologies to Flamehearted for going off topic with regards to the original forum topic! LOL :) !!!!!

Sacha