backdoor berbew.m

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by trislloyd, Dec 14, 2005.

1. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Hi all i recetly had a problem with the backdoor berbew.m virus at work on the m.d's laptop. It was doing my head in for ages and the so called spyware/malware removal programs weren't working. Then i realised i hadn't updated his computer for a while, i turned on automatic updates and found 17 security updates (whoops!) Downloaded them from windows updates and restarted computer. This cleared evrything no problem, gonna leave automatic updates on on all computers on my network from here on in!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, the first step in security has to start with MS updates :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Update:- It may have cleared the berbew virus but the computer contained at least four more, i have to admit i lost the plot and reformatted it! Although the good thing is that it's given me a good kick up the backside. I have been just going through the motions a bit lately (you know, just turning up for work, doing my thing and going home at half five. No studying, no development, no enthusiasm<<my spelling may be off!) I never even realised i had become the kind of I.T Technician i hated! I'm going to get stuck in after christmas and remind my company why they employed me in the first place! As for the M.D's laptop, gonna politely suggest he stops going onto dodgy websites and make a point of keeping him up to date in the future.

Note:- until the end of Jan next year we do not have the facility to RIS install if someone's proper mullered their computer (upgrading to 2003 server) so i had to manually reinstall his OS.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco