Back on the job hunt trail

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Feb 29, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I can only repeat was has already been said and wish you the best of luck with your job hunting. However just remember that when one door shuts another one opens.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This situation is linked to a thread I've started in the training forum. One of my attempts to be more proactive. :wink:

Thanks again for all the well wishes. Having support is helpful.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just applied for a 6 month contract position at HP at below my usual rate. The recruiter is out-of-state and I'll find out more next week. I was revising my CV on the advice of my local recruiter when I saw the email come in for this position, so it was good timing. Now, we'll see what happens next.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Prayers offered. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks. I also applied for a local job managing an organization's website. I probably won't even get an interview, but who knows? It feels better to actually apply for jobs instead of just reading the notices and saying, "Nope, not for me...nope, I'm not qualified..." and such. Been so busy that I haven't even had time to do any studying today. :rolleyes:

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Bummer, Trip.

It seems you and I have about the same kind of luck with employers. Fortunately I've been where I am now for almost a year, but it sure was a long discouraging haul before that.

I know how you're feeling, and it's not good. Keep on keeping on and something good will turn up. If it finally happened for me it will happen for you too.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This is just too funny. I just got a call from a recruiter in California, pitching the same job at HP that the other recruiter at the other end of the country passed my CV on to a few hours ago. Interestingly enough, the California recruiter offered my a dollar and a half *less* than the prior recruiter *for the same job*!

Once I realized it was the same job, I explained the situation to her and that ethically, it would be poor form for me to pursue the position through her when I'd already agreed to go with the other recruiter. It just amazed me that two recruiters could be handling the same job and offering different rates. I wonder if I could have started a price war? :rolleyes:

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A price war would mean they would offer more for your services typically, in order to get better candidates.

Offering less will attract less candidates, don't kid yourself that they pass any savings onto HP, they are middle men, they manage the spread like any market maker. They will charge HP as much as they can and pay you as little as they can.

You might want to invest in a book on contracting and how to negotiate rates while you've got some spare time ! Contractings all about the downtime, make money in the good times and save and go on holiday and enjoy the downtime.

Authors and Journos are nearly always freelance so i'm surprised you seem so tied to permanent work ?

Don't let your job define who you are, theres no shame in being out of work, I should know ! :D

Know your worth, don't take less than the going rate for work.

If you really want to be permanently in work develop stratergies for finding and keeping work, keep your nose to the ground,
    be open to new opporunities, network, ensure you have multiple clients or revenue streams etc...

Best of luck with the job hunt if thats what you choose to do !

9. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Keep your head up Trip! life is not easy but your good enough to get employment, no worries

C :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  10. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Trip, I'm with you bro. Not 8 months after I land my gig, my wife gets an offer that we CAN'T refuse to move to L.A. I'm looking at less than two weeks before I'm a citizen of Cullifornia (Governator speak!), and no job to boot. Oh, although my employer is a worldwide defense and IT contractor, they have ZERO jobs in L.A. The closest is a helpdesk job in San Diego, possibly around May. BZZZT, that ain't gonna cut it.

Time to hit the pavement....again. :(

Alright, that's enough of the 'misery loves company' crap -- it'll all shake out, right? :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

We should all just start an independent consultancy lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You'd be the consultant. What would *I* do? :blink :wink:

13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I vote you as project manager :)

14. ffreeloader

Sounds familiar, Trip. I resemble that remark, if you know what I mean as per our conversation yesterday.

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Freddy phoned me yesterday and I realized that no one IRL actually calls me "Trip" outloud. It took me a few seconds to make the mental adjustment. :wink:

16. ffreeloader

LOL. That's because I know you as "Trip" from all these forums.

I used to talk to d-Faktor every once in a while. We both felt weird calling each other by our real names as we had "known" each other for so long by our internet handles, so that's how we referred to each other. He always called me "Freddy" and I always called him "d-Faktor".

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Don't sell yourself short James
    The power of the collective mind is more than apparent
    I may have technical capabilities, but your documentation skills are likely far beyond mine
    as I imagine your organisational skills are (mine are not as crap as they were when I was a pure techy, but no where near that of a writers)

Everyone has unique skills, and by combining as a collective it saves on duplication, and uses the best capabilities from each of us, you only need to look at Linux to see how that works in reality

(Sorry still reading Wikinomics, I have that whole mass collaboration vibe going in my head)

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Hopefully he was smart enough not to use a foreign mobile to call you for 40 minutes!

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Provide excellent documentation to companies.

Besides, don't sell yourself short; you'd likely be able to do many other things to provide *excellent* value.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nah. He used skype, I think.

I guess I'm still smarting from the most recent "we don't love you anymore" message from my latest placement. I know it's purely an emotional reaction, but it's a little tough to get past. Guess I need a little more time to lick my wounds. On the other hand, the frustration is fueling some really good workouts at the gym. :wink: