Back after a while...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ropenfold, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone

I'm not technically a newbie but it's probably been nearly a decade since I have been on here. A little about me.

Previously I was on tech support certification route, achieving my A+, N+ and a mixture of Microsoft certs. I couldn't get a job in tech so I took a job in my old business which was a mistake really, setting me up for years in a dead end job.

So last year, after a few years of hobby coding, I enrolled on a free coding bootcamp for 4 months full time and finally got my dream job in tech ion July. It's been great and I 'm here to tell you that if you work hard and chase your dreams you can achieve it!

Short term I'm happy with my job but I want to start looking at cyber security as a career path so I'm looking at getting some certs in those fields, my question is it worth doing my A+ and N+ again before doing the security+ cert?

Wishing you all happy and prosperous new year :emoji_slight_smile:

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nope

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Welcome back! congrats on landing the dream job! I would say getting A+ would not be worth your time, however N+ and then Sec+ would be a worthwhile investment IMO, security and networking go hand in hand.

Ropenfold and JK2447 like this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome back, it's always great to see people come back here. I agree with Juelz (congrats top poster of the month!) to a degree. A+ PC related probably not worth it, and N+, a solid foundation in networking that is always going to be useful but the fact that you've already achieved it, I'd say skim a Mike Myers N+ book or online N+ material at the most. Go straight in for the Security+. I loved studying for it and I'd challenge anyone to not enjoy the content which similar to A+ and N+, offers a solid foundation to build on and dig deeper. It gave me my 101 in the differences between trojans, worms and viruses, things like that. Useful throughout my career

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Ropenfold likes this.
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Straight to the Security+ for you mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Ropenfold likes this.
  6. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for your responses guys!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
    JK2447 likes this.
  7. jeepaspe

jeepaspe New Member

Nothing you beat you at once, like nothing can save you.