Bachelor Degree Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by obsolete, Mar 9, 2009.

1. obsolete

obsolete Bit Poster

I'm currently residing in the U.S. and planning to pursue a Bachelor's at University of Maryland University College. The Bachelor degree programs I think of considering is listed below:

Computer Information Technology
    Computer Studies
    Information Assurance

Which one of these are most regarded in the IT industry? I was thinking about pursing a degree in Computer Studies because there are more flexibility of courses that I can choose from than concentrating in a specific field. The Computer Information Technology program consist of mostly Microsoft related courses. The reason I do not wish to pursue this is because I have taken most Microsoft Windows related courses at my community college for my Associates. Also, these courses won't transfer as an upper-level requirement at UMUC. The most interesting one is the Information Assurance program than concentrates on computer security. I think Information Assurance will be very interesting for me and something new since I'm a security freak. But with this program, I may take longer to finish my degree. The Computer Studies program will allow me to finish in attaining my degree faster. So, basically, my decision narrows down to Computer Studies or Information Assurance. I just needed feedback on how most companies will perceive a bachelor's in Compuer Studies as related in any computer profession but mostly in IT. Any advice will greatly appreciated.

P.S. UMUC has a Master's Degree program in Information Assurance. I'm not sure if I want to pursue a Master's in the future (Computer related or other non-computer related discipline). Technically speaking, if I did want to pursue a Master's in Information Assurance, I'm better off pursuing a Bachelor's in Computer Studies. Be no point of me having a Bachelor's and Master's in Information Assurance.

2. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I have an AS in Computer Networking, but decided to diversify myself and go for a business degree that I could use in any department, not just in IT. I obtained a BS in Organizational Managment and eventually an MBA.

I decided to diversify myself as a mentor (my IT director at the time) was told that he would have to move into operations (out of IT) if he expected to move up to VP someday. He did and moved up to VP eventually.

Kind of en eye-opening experience for me. A lot of organizations struggled in the 90s realizing that they had to spend all this $ in/on IT. It takes some time to realize the payoff as businesses have progressed for years without us (IT). I tend to think that it is going the other way now, less IT as more people become tech savvy.

The MBA did hurt me recently when I was interviewing for a server tech position as one of the interviewers was concerned that I would "leave" for the first managment position to open up.

Interview recommendation, when they ask where do you see yourself in the next 5 years, tell them that you still invision yourself as an expert in the position you are interviewing for. Don't be honest like me and state that you are interested in the boss' job.

I hate to sound like everyone else, but ask yourself what field you would enjoy?

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you currently in IT?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. obsolete

obsolete Bit Poster

No, I'm currently not in IT. The only cert I have is the Comptia A+. I have problems communicating articulately and recently diagnosed with a learning disability a few months ago. The biggest problem I realized that I had was with abstract concepts (I noticed object-oriented programming emphasize this much). When I usually read or attempt to interpret what someone is saying by creating images in my head. Concepts such as electrons, gravity, momentum, friction, and such are hard for me to visualize in my head. I'm trying to discover how to improve abstract thinking and asked many professors at my university and also a few students as well, but it's either that they do not know or they do not know how to express it verbally (yet they behave like they know).

I discovered from my own research than I'm interested in psychology with emphasis on behavior (and maybe in some other areas as well) and primarily in cognitive psychology. Instead of taking related courses, I delve into books relating to psychology, memory, and human learning during my spare time. The problem I'm also having is making inferences as well. Constructing inferences and thinking abstractly are both important in everyday things we do in life.

P.S. In regards to my problem understanding the OSI model, I recently discovered the book Computer Networks: A Systems Approach explains it quite well and easy for me to digest the information. Maybe the reason I misinterpreted and had so many questions arise due to the way the information was presented (the books I already examined was Mike Meyers Network+, Network+ Exam Cram 2, and the Sybex Network+ book). By reading the Network+ book by Glen Clarke and reading the Computer Networks: A Systems Approach book, I feel that I have a better understanding of the OSI model. For some reason, I'm very detailed and like to visualize a lot to make interpretations. I also feel that I need to understand before proceeding to further in my reading as well.

I also was thinking about pursuing a degree in Mathematics. In spite of not being great in Math, my mind seem to operate deductively. In terms if inductive logic, that is not the case. I recognized this in my Intro to Logic class. One needs to make inferences for effective inductive logic and some of the inferences my books was making with the examples didn't make sense to me. It's like popping something out of the blue. It's kinda hard for me to explain. Any advice is greatly appreciated.