1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding bogus degrees (eg Degree Mills) & other info...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by wagnerk, Aug 17, 2008.

Click here to banish ads and support Certforums by becoming a Premium Member
  1. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

    Avoiding bogus degrees (eg Degree Mills)

    It's important to know that your degree is valid: if it's not, it won't count when you’re looking for a job. Not all degrees you might see advertised are recognised by UK employers and the government, but it's easy to find out which are genuine.

    Finding a genuine degree course provider

    If you want a genuine UK degree you must ensure that your course leads to a degree awarded by a recognised degree-awarding body.

    Universities and some colleges in the UK are given the power to award degrees under an Act of Parliament or by Royal Charter.

    They are then recognised as degree-awarding bodies by the UK government and other official organisations, and known as 'Recognised Bodies'. The degrees that they award are referred to as 'recognised UK degrees'.

    Some colleges do not grant degrees but run courses on behalf of Recognised Bodies, thereby contributing to a degree. These are known as 'Listed Bodies'.

    Only Recognised Bodies can award genuine UK degrees, and only courses provided by them or by Listed Bodies can lead to a recognised UK degree.

    Use the links below to check that the institution where you wish to study appears on either the official record of Recognised Bodies or of Listed Bodies.

    See here for the whole page.

    Studying at an overseas university: doing your research

    Checking qualifications

    Even if an institution is recognised in its home country, you’ll want to check what status the qualification you’ll get has in the UK – or wherever you’re planning to go after you’ve finished your course.

    UK citizens thinking of studying overseas can ask for advice on the accreditation and recognition of the qualifications they are planning to undertake, and the overseas institution that they wish to attend, from UK NARIC.

    UK NARIC is the UK’s national agency responsible for providing information and expert opinion on qualifications gained overseas. While it can give an opinion on the UK equivalency of an overseas degree, this is for information only and has no legal basis - UK employers and higher education institutions have the right to make their own decisions on whether to recognise overseas qualifications when looking at applications for employment or further study.

    Recognition for your qualifications is especially important for careers where you need it in order to practice – like law and medicine. You should check with the relevant professional body in the country where you intend to work.

    See here for whole page, see here for NARIC.

    Certifications: CITP, PGDip, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MSc in Tech Management
  2. Qs

    Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

    Very useful Ken. +rep matey :)
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA

Share This Page