Average salary for entry level I.T job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When an employer is looking at several similar people without experience, who do you think they'll take the time to actively pursue... the ones who are making below or near what the employer is willing to pay, or the ones who are making far above what the employer is willing to pay? Every little thing you can do to make yourself look more attractive to an employer will help... including making yourself look more attractive salarywise.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

Ah, yes, but that's apt to get you shuffled under as well. As an employer, if I'm asking, I'm expecting you to answer my question. Fail to answer my question with the information I require, and you get shuffled out, or at least, to the bottom of the stack... because I *really* don't want to waste time bringing someone in for an interview who wants £35K for a £25K job.

Before you say that never happens, my previous employer did just that when interviewing for my replacement.

You can "play the game"... but you can also lose that game as well. Ultimately, the employer has what you want.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It’s not really negotiable. If you have most of the skills the employer wants, they’ll be willing to pay towards the higher-end of the pre-determined scale. If you don’t, then they’ll want to pay less. But at the end of the day, the employer is in the driver’s seat. That all changes is you have a very specific/in-demand skill that this employer needs and is scarce.

4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Arroryn/Modey

Maybe I need to see the bigger picture:oops:

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

For that reason, my current salary isn't on my CV, and I wouldn't expect it to affect my suitability for the job. One would assume that normally an employer will put a wage bracket up on the job they're advertising. Logically, your target figure would sit at the lower end of that bracket, but they would be prepared to negotiate to near the top end. It all depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice financially for your career. For me, it was 33%. And that was after negotiation :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. BosonMichael

Some do... some don't. In fact, many don't... they want to control negotiations, often because they simply want to pay as little as possible for your services. Again, they've got what you want, so they hold all the negotiating leverage. The only exception to this is if you have so much experience that your skills are greatly in demand; only then do you hold ANY cards.

7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

This probably leads to my next question:

What is the better entry level IT job to get?

IT TECHNICIAN OR FIRST LINE SUPPORT

Please justify your line of thought!

FatP - I am asking parlt due to the option offered by the Comptia A+ option!

:D

8. Arroryn

I'm not sure what you mean by the A+ option, but IMO those two jobs are one and the same. Unless you get a helpdesk job where you are a 'logger and flogger' (I can't stop saying that now it's great!) a First Line tech will do 'technician' work...

9. Arroryn

I'm not sure what you mean by the A+ option, but IMO those two jobs are one and the same. Unless you get a helpdesk job where you are a 'logger and flogger' (I can't stop saying that now it's great!) a First Line tech will do 'technician' work...

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe I should have put I expect to drop wages in the box next to my salary, as I am under no illusion I will drop salary but I am prepared to do so, as long as I can live.

Yes I understand, I'll make a point of saying I am willing to take a pay cut the next time I get an application form.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. greenbrucelee

Both Jobs will relate to the A+ so either one is good if your studying the A+.

12. BosonMichael

Agreed. The term "IT technician" can really mean any sort of IT support... whether it be a help desk tech, PC repair tech, systems admin, network admin, etc. Thus, people who are "first line techs" are "IT technicians".

Should you be pursuing entry-level jobs, such as "first line tech" jobs? Most certainly.

13. BosonMichael

As long as you make it clear that you understand that the salary you make in your current career has nothing to do with the salary you would expect to make in an altogether different career field, you should be fine. :)

14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Experience has taught to take titles with a grain of salt. Depending on the company profiles, these could be very similar in nature, or night and day different.

In smaller companies, I've seen 1st Line Support responsible for duties normally held for the IT Technician.

15. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

When you have to put your current salary on an application form, dont put your exact salary. Its also an idea to round it down a bit. Most places have an annual pay award, & have bonus payments etc.
    So £18888 would become £18500 or £18000. Would you really notice £800 for a year or so?

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  16. Arroryn

That depends on how stringently you budget, and on wages at that level, (less than 20K) yeah I'd notice.

£800 a year could be car insurance, it could be council tax for a house, it could be your landline and mobile costs... I wouldn't lose 5% of my annual salary without having to rearrange my budget.

17. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Its not a real loss of £800, theres still tax to be deducted.
    Also, if its a move you want to make for the long term, you may have to sacrifice some of the now, for more of the future

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I just leave it blank. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. greenbrucelee

Well I had to drop 11.5% of my wages which worked out at £120 per month I noticed, but then again whilst being in my current financial status I would notice £50

20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, thats a night out at the pub for me. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs